GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Climbing hydrangea pruning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/123853-climbing-hydrangea-pruning.html)

Tiger303 24-02-2006 11:00 AM

Climbing hydrangea pruning

out of interest when do people here prune off last years faded flower heads? had a look today and some of the buds are just started to open, so was thinking off removing the old flower heads; perhaps some of you leave them on. anyways thanks for your help

La Puce 24-02-2006 08:00 PM

Tiger303 wrote:
out of interest when do people here prune off last years faded flower
heads? had a look today and some of the buds are just started to open,
so was thinking off removing the old flower heads; perhaps some of you
leave them on. anyways thanks for your help

Errr ... Tiger, you've already asked this one on the 7th Feb! Look at
the theads archive and search for hydrangea. Kay was your expert on
this and Bob should be along any moment now. However until then, I'd
leave them on a bit longer. The old flowers protect the buds until it
gets warmer. Then remove them.

Tiger303 25-02-2006 10:29 AM

apologies for that, must be going senile in my old age; anyways thanks 4 your help :)

La Puce 25-02-2006 03:15 PM

Tiger303 wrote:
apologies for that, must be going senile in my old age; anyways thanks 4
your help :)

Tiger, a pleasure! I hope I didn't sounded too rude too :o) Are you
worried about your hydrangea? Where is your area?

Tiger303 27-02-2006 10:04 AM

No not at all, the board gets enough rubbish/spam posted without my adding to it with double posts........netiquette i believe its called ;)

i live in manchester, about 3 to 4 miles from the city centre; and worry about all my plants....LOL. real reason is i didn't want to affect this years blooms with pruning too early/late; doubt i would have done as seeing as i'm going to just remove last years spent flowerheads, but always good to check