Old 27-02-2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ronnie

Default Raised vegetable beds

I wish to design and build new raised beds for easy care vegetables on
an old grass area of our garden near suffolk coast. Any advice most
welcome - eg dimensions, source of railway timbers, suitable spoil and
veg types.Many thanks

Old 27-02-2006, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article .com,
Ronnie writes
I wish to design and build new raised beds for easy care vegetables on
an old grass area of our garden near suffolk coast. Any advice most
welcome - eg dimensions, source of railway timbers, suitable spoil and
veg types.Many thanks

I built 12 last year but used scaffolding planks using the length then
cutting the planks in half for the width. Treated the planks on the
outside for extra life.

Shoved in tons of westland well rotted compost and my two compost heaps
and had brilliant success. Vegetables have been wonderful apart from
blight ridden tomatoes.
Courgettes, parsnips, potatoes etc were much bigger than normal years.
Put weed blanket between beds to make paths, covered with pea gravel.

Wish I'd put stakes down sides for extra strength so levering up
potatoes etc wouldn't strain the sides but very pleased with final
effect.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy