GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   *** UK.REC.GARDENING NEEDS YOUR HELP PLEASE! *** (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/138871-%2A%2A%2A-uk-rec-gardening-needs-your-help-please-%2A%2A%2A.html)

michael adams 14-03-2006 05:12 PM

Mac help needed:was *** UK.REC.GARDENING NEEDS YOUR HELPPLEASE! ***

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 14/3/06 1:41 pm, in article , "michael
adams" wrote:

Sasha, according to an "expert", on a mac eudora group

quote

In the group list, select the group. (Click on it, so it is hilited)
In the "News" menu, select "Mark Read". (or command-M)
Then all messages are considered to have been read, so in the future
you will see only newly-posted messages.

Unhappily, that doesn't work, either. I've had them all marked as "Read"
for ages but their 'ghosts' are still there. Under 'View', I can select
"View Unread Messages Only", which is what I have been doing. But that
means you can't refer back through other posts in a thread if you've

already
read them. I am sure I'm being very stupid about this and that there must
be a way to clear read messages off my screen but I can't find the way to

do
it. It's never been an issue before so I'm not sure where to start.

You'll nedd to work through all your menus, option by option
until you find one that looks as though it will clear the messages.
The problem is the menu trees aren't always in a logical order,
and its not always obvious which options will be on which menus
or what the options wil actually do.

this is from an Entourage Newsgroup

quote

If you're in Entourage X, you can clear ALL with a preference in Mail &
News-Compose-Clear List button, but the list will fill up again. This
option is not available in 2001.

/quote

I'm not sure if that makes any more sense than what's gone before. But
as I've noted in the other post the fact that your NewsGroup options
are greyed out in the menu (from memory) seems rather strange.

michael adams

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
)

Sacha 14-03-2006 05:23 PM

*** UK.REC.GARDENING NEEDS YOUR HELP PLEASE! ***

On 14/3/06 5:01 pm, in article , "michael
adams" wrote:

snip

Do you know why your NewsGroup settings are greyed out ?

Couldn't this mean you're not using that program for reading
NewsGroups ? This mightn't be all that obvious, depending on how
many windows you have open at once. But the fact that the
NewsGroup settings are greyed out doesn't seem very satisfactory
to me, at least.

I don't know why they're greyed out and had simply assumed it was because
those bits weren't to be used while in newsgroup reading mode. I use
Eudora for both mail and newsgroup, atm. I am going to be getting someone
up soon to look at my computer and a friend's but can't do so until the end
of the month as she's away. My Mac mail program suddenly decided to pack up
a while ago, too, so perhaps this computer is just having a quiet and
stealthy nervous breakdown!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Chris Hogg 14-03-2006 08:30 PM

*** UK.REC.GARDENING NEEDS YOUR HELP PLEASE! ***

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:50:30 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 13/3/06 17:46, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

snip
Must be a Hoax, this is an unmoderated newsgroup. Probably uses some ISP
that doesn't like newsgroups instead of "news.individual.net" which we both
use.

It's probably one of the morons who is currently bombarding this newsgroup
with yet more nonsense posts. What a sad little life THEY must lead!

I would have thought with all those gobbledegook posts, the post count
would have actually increased considerably!

--
Chris

K 14-03-2006 10:45 PM

Mac help needed:was *** UK.REC.GARDENING NEEDS YOUR HELP PLEASE! ***

Sacha writes
adams" wrote:

Sasha, according to an "expert", on a mac eudora group

quote

In the group list, select the group. (Click on it, so it is hilited)
In the "News" menu, select "Mark Read". (or command-M)
Then all messages are considered to have been read, so in the future
you will see only newly-posted messages.

Unhappily, that doesn't work, either. I've had them all marked as "Read"
for ages but their 'ghosts' are still there. Under 'View', I can select
"View Unread Messages Only", which is what I have been doing. But that
means you can't refer back through other posts in a thread if you've already
read them. I am sure I'm being very stupid about this and that there must
be a way to clear read messages off my screen but I can't find the way to do
it. It's never been an issue before so I'm not sure where to start.

See if you have anything relating to subscribing to urg, perhaps under a
'general properties' type heading, and look for an option to change the
length of time that you keep posts before deleting them. You monitor urg
pretty regularly so you could set that down to 24 hours or less.
--
Kay

Sacha 14-03-2006 10:56 PM

Mac help needed:was *** UK.REC.GARDENING NEEDS YOUR HELPPLEASE! ***

On 14/3/06 10:45 pm, in article , "K"
wrote:

snip

See if you have anything relating to subscribing to urg, perhaps under a
'general properties' type heading, and look for an option to change the
length of time that you keep posts before deleting them. You monitor urg
pretty regularly so you could set that down to 24 hours or less.

You're right and that's exactly what I'm looking for but not finding. I'm
sure this is my failure but I just cannot find the damned thing. Of course,
the other possibility is that given the computer's temperamental behaviour
at present, whatever-it-is is just not working, or showing up. Or
something.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

newsb 15-03-2006 03:40 PM

*** UK.REC.GARDENING NEEDS YOUR HELP PLEASE! ***

In article , Sacha
writes

It's probably one of the morons who is currently bombarding this newsgroup
with yet more nonsense posts. What a sad little life THEY must lead!

Indeed - another "one" posting through news.highwinds-media.com - along
with telia, one of the most recent flood sources

--
regards andyw

Sacha 15-03-2006 04:20 PM

*** UK.REC.GARDENING NEEDS YOUR HELP PLEASE! ***

On 15/3/06 15:40, in article , "newsb"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

It's probably one of the morons who is currently bombarding this newsgroup
with yet more nonsense posts. What a sad little life THEY must lead!

Indeed - another "one" posting through news.highwinds-media.com - along
with telia, one of the most recent flood sources

Someone suggested that it's come about as the result of a squabble in
rec.ponds but it could just as easily be e.g. demon.local or any of the
other groups people here post to. However, rec.ponds and demon.local do seem
to have a lot of troll trouble quite a lot of the time. I'm sure someone
who is computer savvy will be able to track it down because AIUI there are
ways of doing that. But I wouldn't like to be the culprit when they are
discovered!
--
Sacha