Old 16-03-2006, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default dual fruit trees

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:09:24 +0000 (UTC)
"Dwayne & Angela" wrote:

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Dwayne & Angela" wrote in message

[]
knew I had seen them somewhere although I doubt if some of those fruits
would fruit properly here, but I am new to all this stuff and am willing to
listen to any advice either way.
e.g..
http://www.directgardening.com/detail.asp?pid=5556
Not certain that they perform particularly well.
Somewhere it is suggested that if you are limited for space planting
different varieties in the same hole may be a solution.

This however sounds promising would they stunt each others growth though? if
this is possible what about apple, pear and plum in the same hole? I think
it would be pretty cool if they twined around each other.

As a lad for a while we lived outside of NY in the US, and had a
multifruiting apple tree. It was large and quite mature, and
produced a good crop. IIRC there were 4 or 5 different varieties,
the usual boring american 'Golden Delicious' sorts of ones.

Of course a radically different climate, long and very hot summers,
snow and cold winter to shut things down well. Lots of sun.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 17-03-2006, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Martin,
I wouldn't go as far as to say impossible, for I have seen several good
examples of peaches grow in the North.
Last September I saw members of the Northern Fruit Group exhibiting
peaches at their show at Harlow Carr.
The variety -- Perergrine, a white fleshed peach which in the groups
experience is reliable against a warm wall.
In the Northern Fruit Group's leaflet "Suggested Fruit Cultivars for
the North" the variety Rochester is also recommended, with members
suggesting that it is a reliable cropper.
There are varieties of peaches refered to as Patio, which are grafted
on to a special dwarfing rootstock that will remain in a pot. The
rootstock is much more knarled than St. Juliean or Pixy.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 17-03-2006, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

The site details that the hight of the tree is 10 feet, which suggests
that the rootstock is either Pixy or one of the Grizela series. These
dwarfing rootstocks for peaches and plums are relatively short lived.
The come into fruit quickly after 2 years compared with 4 years plus on
St Julian or Brompton.
Whilst with apples it is easy to produce cordon trees, for the stone
fruit such a tight pruning is not possible, so need the space to fan
the tree out against the wall.
Many of the main mail order people are based in the South of England
and produce to the local gowing conditions. The dwarfting apple root
stocks (M9 and to a lesser extent M27) do not fare well in northern
England, they don't like the colder wet weather. I am currently
reading a book by Michael Phillips entitled The Apple Grower - a guide
for the Organic Orchardist. He is a commercial fruit grower in New
Hampshire, USA. In the book he describes commercial growers eperience
the same problem over there. So to achieve the advantages of a
commercial orachd at 6ft tall they use a M7 rootstock, which is similar
in growth characteristics to the M111, then use an interstock of M9 to
obtain the reduced hight.
I am putting together a little plan to see how it fares over here.