GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   JI Composts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/141373-ji-composts.html)

Chris Hogg 20-03-2006 10:00 PM

JI Composts

AIUI, JI-1, -2 and -3 are all the same basic mix but with increasing
amounts of fertiliser (NPK).

Does anyone know where JI-Ericaceous fits in the series?

--
Chris

NC 20-03-2006 10:01 PM

JI Composts

Chris Hogg wrote:
AIUI, JI-1, -2 and -3 are all the same basic mix but with increasing
amounts of fertiliser (NPK).

Does anyone know where JI-Ericaceous fits in the series?

A quick google gives:
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/...john_innes.htm

Rupert 20-03-2006 10:30 PM

JI Composts

"NC" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote:
AIUI, JI-1, -2 and -3 are all the same basic mix but with increasing
amounts of fertiliser (NPK).

Does anyone know where JI-Ericaceous fits in the series?

A quick google gives:
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/...john_innes.htm

Interesting:- Looks like JI ericaceous is similar to JI seed compost .The
difference is that limestone is replaced with sulphur to give a higher pH.
I have never used JI but I suppose perhaps I end up making something
vaguely similar by mixing soil with bog standard seed and potting compost.

Derek Turner 21-03-2006 09:37 AM

JI Composts

Rupert wrote:

Interesting:- Looks like JI ericaceous is similar to JI seed compost .The
difference is that limestone is replaced with sulphur to give a higher pH.
I have never used JI but I suppose perhaps I end up making something
vaguely similar by mixing soil with bog standard seed and potting compost.

Make that a LOWER pH. pH7 = acid pH7 alkaline. p stands for 'minus
logarithm to the base 10', and H the concentration of hydrogen ions (if
you are interested). So the higher the H+ concentration the lower the pH

Rupert 21-03-2006 10:07 AM

JI Composts

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:

Interesting:- Looks like JI ericaceous is similar to JI seed compost
.The difference is that limestone is replaced with sulphur to give a
higher pH.
I have never used JI but I suppose perhaps I end up making something
vaguely similar by mixing soil with bog standard seed and potting
compost.

Make that a LOWER pH. pH7 = acid pH7 alkaline. p stands for 'minus
logarithm to the base 10', and H the concentration of hydrogen ions (if
you are interested). So the higher the H+ concentration the lower the pH

Woops and me an ex Khemist. Thanks.

Always though pH meant potential for hydrogen?

Derek Turner 21-03-2006 10:31 AM

JI Composts

Rupert wrote:

Interesting:- Looks like JI ericaceous is similar to JI seed compost
.The difference is that limestone is replaced with sulphur to give a
higher pH.
I have never used JI but I suppose perhaps I end up making something
vaguely similar by mixing soil with bog standard seed and potting
compost.

Make that a LOWER pH. pH7 = acid pH7 alkaline. p stands for 'minus
logarithm to the base 10', and H the concentration of hydrogen ions (if
you are interested). So the higher the H+ concentration the lower the pH

Woops and me an ex Khemist. Thanks.

Always though pH meant potential for hydrogen?

Google say power or potential but p just means -log(10) and can be
applied to anything AIUI. 0.1 molar salt solution would have a pNa (and
a pCl) of 1. Not very useful and so not used often!

When applied to gasses (pO2) I think it means partial pressure and is
quoted in mmHg, just to confuse things!

Chris Hogg 21-03-2006 06:08 PM

JI Composts

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:37:04 +0000, Derek Turner
wrote:

Rupert wrote:

Interesting:- Looks like JI ericaceous is similar to JI seed compost .The
difference is that limestone is replaced with sulphur to give a higher pH.
I have never used JI but I suppose perhaps I end up making something
vaguely similar by mixing soil with bog standard seed and potting compost.

Make that a LOWER pH. pH7 = acid pH7 alkaline. p stands for 'minus
logarithm to the base 10', and H the concentration of hydrogen ions (if
you are interested). So the higher the H+ concentration the lower the pH

The mantra I have is "the logarithm (to the base 10) of the reciprocal
of the hydrogen ion concentration in moles per litre"

Same as yours but differently expressed.

--
Chris

Chris Hogg 21-03-2006 06:08 PM

JI Composts

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:01:15 +0000 (UTC), NC wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
AIUI, JI-1, -2 and -3 are all the same basic mix but with increasing
amounts of fertiliser (NPK).

Does anyone know where JI-Ericaceous fits in the series?

A quick google gives:
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/...john_innes.htm

Thanks. That tells me everything.

--