Old 20-03-2006, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default JI Composts

AIUI, JI-1, -2 and -3 are all the same basic mix but with increasing
amounts of fertiliser (NPK).

Does anyone know where JI-Ericaceous fits in the series?

--
Chris

Old 20-03-2006, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Chris Hogg wrote:
AIUI, JI-1, -2 and -3 are all the same basic mix but with increasing
amounts of fertiliser (NPK).

Does anyone know where JI-Ericaceous fits in the series?

A quick google gives:
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/...john_innes.htm
Old 20-03-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"NC" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote:
AIUI, JI-1, -2 and -3 are all the same basic mix but with increasing
amounts of fertiliser (NPK).

Does anyone know where JI-Ericaceous fits in the series?

A quick google gives:
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/...john_innes.htm

Interesting:- Looks like JI ericaceous is similar to JI seed compost .The
difference is that limestone is replaced with sulphur to give a higher pH.
I have never used JI but I suppose perhaps I end up making something
vaguely similar by mixing soil with bog standard seed and potting compost.

Old 21-03-2006, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

Rupert wrote:

Interesting:- Looks like JI ericaceous is similar to JI seed compost .The
difference is that limestone is replaced with sulphur to give a higher pH.
I have never used JI but I suppose perhaps I end up making something
vaguely similar by mixing soil with bog standard seed and potting compost.

Make that a LOWER pH. pH7 = acid pH7 alkaline. p stands for 'minus
logarithm to the base 10', and H the concentration of hydrogen ions (if
you are interested). So the higher the H+ concentration the lower the pH
Old 21-03-2006, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:

Interesting:- Looks like JI ericaceous is similar to JI seed compost
.The difference is that limestone is replaced with sulphur to give a
higher pH.
I have never used JI but I suppose perhaps I end up making something
vaguely similar by mixing soil with bog standard seed and potting
compost.

Make that a LOWER pH. pH7 = acid pH7 alkaline. p stands for 'minus
logarithm to the base 10', and H the concentration of hydrogen ions (if
you are interested). So the higher the H+ concentration the lower the pH

Woops and me an ex Khemist. Thanks.

Always though pH meant potential for hydrogen?

Old 21-03-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

Rupert wrote:

Interesting:- Looks like JI ericaceous is similar to JI seed compost
.The difference is that limestone is replaced with sulphur to give a
higher pH.
I have never used JI but I suppose perhaps I end up making something
vaguely similar by mixing soil with bog standard seed and potting
compost.

Make that a LOWER pH. pH7 = acid pH7 alkaline. p stands for 'minus
logarithm to the base 10', and H the concentration of hydrogen ions (if
you are interested). So the higher the H+ concentration the lower the pH

Woops and me an ex Khemist. Thanks.

Always though pH meant potential for hydrogen?

Google say power or potential but p just means -log(10) and can be
applied to anything AIUI. 0.1 molar salt solution would have a pNa (and
a pCl) of 1. Not very useful and so not used often!

When applied to gasses (pO2) I think it means partial pressure and is
quoted in mmHg, just to confuse things!
Old 21-03-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:37:04 +0000, Derek Turner
wrote:

Rupert wrote:

Interesting:- Looks like JI ericaceous is similar to JI seed compost .The
difference is that limestone is replaced with sulphur to give a higher pH.
I have never used JI but I suppose perhaps I end up making something
vaguely similar by mixing soil with bog standard seed and potting compost.

Make that a LOWER pH. pH7 = acid pH7 alkaline. p stands for 'minus
logarithm to the base 10', and H the concentration of hydrogen ions (if
you are interested). So the higher the H+ concentration the lower the pH

The mantra I have is "the logarithm (to the base 10) of the reciprocal
of the hydrogen ion concentration in moles per litre"

Same as yours but differently expressed.

--
Chris

Old 21-03-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:01:15 +0000 (UTC), NC wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
AIUI, JI-1, -2 and -3 are all the same basic mix but with increasing
amounts of fertiliser (NPK).

Does anyone know where JI-Ericaceous fits in the series?

A quick google gives:
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/...john_innes.htm

Thanks. That tells me everything.

--
Chris

Potting composts Therefore United Kingdom 15 22-05-2010 11:25 PM
dirty peat free composts cineman United Kingdom 13 17-08-2008 10:22 AM
Composts jellyfish United Kingdom 0 09-11-2006 11:46 PM
soil vs potting composts Duncan United Kingdom 2 02-02-2006 10:45 PM
Peat free composts Victoria Clare United Kingdom 9 11-04-2005 01:04 PM