Old 24-03-2006, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default grape vine

There is a huge one in our garden which I pruned quite heavily this year
although I left a lot. What is left now appears dead - the bits snap off in
a very like dead wood kind of way. Is this normal or is it an ex vine? If so
is it my pruning or the weather that's to blame (it is on a west facing
fence).

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 24-03-2006, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 H Ryder wrote:
There is a huge one in our garden which I pruned quite heavily this year
although I left a lot. What is left now appears dead - the bits snap off in
a very like dead wood kind of way. Is this normal or is it an ex vine? If so
is it my pruning or the weather that's to blame (it is on a west facing
fence).

Vines won't start to burst into leaf for another couple of months. I
pruned some vines last week and the sap was still not flowing.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 24-03-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

H Ryder wrote:
There is a huge one in our garden which I pruned quite heavily this year
although I left a lot. What is left now appears dead - the bits snap off in
a very like dead wood kind of way. Is this normal or is it an ex vine? If so
is it my pruning or the weather that's to blame (it is on a west facing
fence).

Everyone's grape vines look pretty sick at this time of year. And do
consider what they've been going through, too. I hope it's not dead
but I certainly wouldn't write it off at this stage of the year!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-03-2006, 03:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

I was instructed to remove the dead wood so, I usually prune them back until
I can see some green in the fresh cut.
Dwayne (from Kansas)