Old 25-03-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

Default Manure - Any tips?

A friend has a horse stables and offered my some manure, now is it ok
just to take or will i need to do something to it first?

Also my dad in law has a cow farm is this stuff any better?

Thanks

This will be going into a garden and really want to do it this week as
it's a bkank canvas at the mo.

Based in South Wales

Old 25-03-2006, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

I used fresh horse manure once and every whole kernal of grain that had been
fed to the critter came up in my garden.

I would get it, mix it with dirt and leave it set for a year or so to give
the grain time to sprout in the pile rather than in your garden.

The "Manure Tea" Sacha recommended might be your best bet if you want to use
it this year as long as you filter out the kernals.

Dwayne (from Kansas)

ups.com...

Old 25-03-2006, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Dwayne wrote:
I used fresh horse manure once and every whole kernal of grain that
had been fed to the critter came up in my garden.

[...]

OT, a small patch of cereals is worth growing just for an everlasting
"flower" arrangement. Cut while the heads are still green. Of special
interest to men living alone, as it proves you have taste and
imagination, is impossible to arrange badly, and really does last for
yonks. I recommend removal of any spider-webs every few years, but this
refinement is, of course, optional.

--
Mike.

Old 26-03-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

VX writes
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:07:07 +0000, Mike Lyle wrote
(in message ):

OT, a small patch of cereals is worth growing just for an everlasting
"flower" arrangement. Cut while the heads are still green. Of special
interest to men living alone, as it proves you have taste and
imagination, is impossible to arrange badly, and really does last for
yonks. I recommend removal of any spider-webs every few years, but this
refinement is, of course, optional.

Duly noted- an way of demonstrating that I have taste is worth filing away!

I wonder if it would work if I just sow some muesli?

You'd have a more decorative selection of grasses if you sowed wild bird
food instead.

--
Kay
Old 26-03-2006, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:07:07 +0000, Mike Lyle wrote
(in message ):

OT, a small patch of cereals is worth growing just for an everlasting
"flower" arrangement. Cut while the heads are still green. Of special
interest to men living alone, as it proves you have taste and
imagination, is impossible to arrange badly, and really does last for
yonks. I recommend removal of any spider-webs every few years, but this
refinement is, of course, optional.

Duly noted- an way of demonstrating that I have taste is worth filing away!

I wonder if it would work if I just sow some muesli?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)