Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-03-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James

Default Depth of tree roots

Hi

I have a mature tree at the bottom of my new garden. I think it's a sycamore
(will have a better idea when the leaves grow) and it is easily over 40 feet
high.

I plan to build a garage/workshop on the land under the tree and this is to
include a service well, ie a sunken walkway in the floor of the garage, so I
can walk under a parked car to service it, rather than have to elevate the
car on ramps etc.

The pit will be about 6 feet deep and 3 feet wide and I wonder if digging it
will affect the tree.

I'm looking for information on the size, depth and spread of tree roots, so
I can gauge the likely impact of digging the foundations of the workshop and
the service well.

Can anyone point me to a site with this info, or do you know how deep a
sycamore sinks it's roots, and how far from the trunk they extend?

Regards
James

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Gravel depth Gen Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:32 PM
Gravel depth Dave Australia 0 27-03-2003 03:08 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM
soil depth Peter Green United Kingdom 0 22-02-2003 01:23 PM