Old 28-03-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James

Default Depth of tree roots

Hi

I have a mature tree at the bottom of my new garden. I think it's a sycamore
(will have a better idea when the leaves grow) and it is easily over 40 feet
high.

I plan to build a garage/workshop on the land under the tree and this is to
include a service well, ie a sunken walkway in the floor of the garage, so I
can walk under a parked car to service it, rather than have to elevate the
car on ramps etc.

The pit will be about 6 feet deep and 3 feet wide and I wonder if digging it
will affect the tree.

I'm looking for information on the size, depth and spread of tree roots, so
I can gauge the likely impact of digging the foundations of the workshop and
the service well.

Can anyone point me to a site with this info, or do you know how deep a
sycamore sinks it's roots, and how far from the trunk they extend?

Regards
James

Old 28-03-2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"James" wrote in message
[...]

The recieved\anecdotal wisdom, is that a tree's roots, regardless
of species, can reach as far outwards as the spread of the
branches.

The degree to which any of these horizontal roots serve to anchor
the tree, will need to taken into account. The size of the actual
boughs on the tree, the amount of leverage they are likely to
impart on the trunk of the tree in high winds etc may
be related to the spread of the roots. And so it might be
unwise to disturb that balance.

The thing you need to bear in mind is that by severing any roots
on your side of the boundary you will be increasing the, theoretical
anyway, likelihood of the tree toppling into an adjacent property
and thus causing damage. More especially if the tree is heavily
laden with boughs on that side

Before going ahead, stand under the tree on a windy day and try
and estimate the likely effect might be, of severing any anchoring
roots.

michael adams

Old 28-03-2006, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Correction:
quote
Roots on a mature tree may have a spread of at least twice the
height of the tree.
http://www.denvergov.org/Forestry/template23628.asp
/quote

Old 28-03-2006, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
"James" wrote in message

Can anyone point me to a site with this info, or do you know how deep a
sycamore sinks it's roots, and how far from the trunk they extend?

The degree to which any of these horizontal roots serve to anchor
the tree, will need to taken into account. The size of the actual
boughs on the tree, the amount of leverage they are likely to
impart on the trunk of the tree in high winds etc may
be related to the spread of the roots. And so it might be
unwise to disturb that balance.

That is the main problem, yes. If it is a sycamore, it is unlikely
to be harmed by a bit of root pruning :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-03-2006, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheldon Harper

"James" wrote in
:

Hi

I have a mature tree at the bottom of my new garden. I think it's a
sycamore (will have a better idea when the leaves grow) and it is easily
over 40 feet high.

I plan to build a garage/workshop on the land under the tree and this is
to include a service well, ie a sunken walkway in the floor of the
garage, so I can walk under a parked car to service it, rather than have
to elevate the car on ramps etc.

The pit will be about 6 feet deep and 3 feet wide and I wonder if
digging it will affect the tree.

I hasten to point out that not only is the construction of such
a pit very expensive (you can buy an automobile lift for less)
but they're dangerous in several ways.

google "car lift" uk 62,600 hits

The only service pit installations of which I'm aware in the
US over the past half century are in quick oil change shops
and some large trucking company depots where pulling a tractor
and semitrailer over a pit is sometimes advantageous.

Make certain your insurance remains in force if you build one
of these anyway.

Old 29-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

If you are building a garage under the tree, its not just that you will cutting into the tree for your pit, but presumably for the foundations for the garage as well. cutting any root will create an instablity of the tree and open a wound for infection. also compression of the ground will affect the tree. reducing air pockets in the ground and starving it.....sycamore are not the most valued of trees. if you are going to keep the tree perhaps you could reduce the size of the tree before you build. this would reduce the risk of instability.
Old 29-03-2006, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
michael adams wrote:
"James" wrote in message

Can anyone point me to a site with this info, or do you know how deep a
sycamore sinks it's roots, and how far from the trunk they extend?

The degree to which any of these horizontal roots serve to anchor
the tree, will need to taken into account. The size of the actual
boughs on the tree, the amount of leverage they are likely to
impart on the trunk of the tree in high winds etc may
be related to the spread of the roots. And so it might be
unwise to disturb that balance.

That is the main problem, yes. If it is a sycamore, it is unlikely
to be harmed by a bit of root pruning :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

All the references seems to agree that sycamore is a shallow rooting
tree. So presumably any roots severed to a depth of 6ft will be making
a real contribution to the stability of the tree.

With mature trees in species amenable to root pruning such as sycamore
the recommendation seems to be to prune no more than one quadrant in any
one year, to be followed by a two year gap. This being presumably for
the health of the tree rather than stability as such. But presumably
the same would apply.

The "wind test" of standing under the tree should perhaps be carried
out in summer with the tree in full leaf, as this would present
more wind resistance and act more as a sail. This would all depend
of course on the direction of any prevailing winds in the OP's
locality.

The concerns raised about digging pits, when fully researched, might
seem to put the Kybosh on all this in any case.

michael adams

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Gravel depth Gen Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:32 PM
Gravel depth Dave Australia 0 27-03-2003 03:08 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM
soil depth Peter Green United Kingdom 0 22-02-2003 01:23 PM