Old 06-04-2006, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

Default Comfrey

Over the past week I've been reading about Comfrey and it's supposed to be a
fantastic organic fertilizer.

Yesterday I went out looking for it growing in the wild and transplanted
eight sections of root onto a piece of scrub land closer to my garden.
Apparently it spreads like wildfire, and is very difficult to eradicate
(hence the planting on scrub land) but the plant sucks nutrients from as far
as 6 feet below the surface and stores them in it's leaves.

Has anyone else had any experience of this plant in their garden?

Old 06-04-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andrew Hickley

In article ,
"Bobby" wrote:

Over the past week I've been reading about Comfrey and it's supposed to be a
fantastic organic fertilizer.

Yesterday I went out looking for it growing in the wild and transplanted
eight sections of root onto a piece of scrub land closer to my garden.
Apparently it spreads like wildfire, and is very difficult to eradicate
(hence the planting on scrub land) but the plant sucks nutrients from as far
as 6 feet below the surface and stores them in it's leaves.

Has anyone else had any experience of this plant in their garden?

We bulldozed (literally, with a JCB) our comfrey patch last winter. By
the spring it was breaking out all over, and growing as vigorously as
ever. Fabulous as a liquid manure, if smelly...
Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

Bobby wrote:
Over the past week I've been reading about Comfrey and it's supposed to be a
fantastic organic fertilizer.

Yesterday I went out looking for it growing in the wild and transplanted
eight sections of root onto a piece of scrub land closer to my garden.
Apparently it spreads like wildfire, and is very difficult to eradicate
(hence the planting on scrub land) but the plant sucks nutrients from as far
as 6 feet below the surface and stores them in it's leaves.

Has anyone else had any experience of this plant in their garden?

There is a strain called 'Bocking 14' marketed by the HDRA which is much
less invasive and just as beneficial. I've grown it for 5 years without
being driven out of house and home (or garden).
Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

Derek Turner wrote:

There is a strain called 'Bocking 14' marketed by the HDRA which is much
less invasive and just as beneficial. I've grown it for 5 years without
being driven out of house and home (or garden).

Sorry to follow up on my own post but I've just googled Bocking 14 and
discovered that it's sterile - will propagate through root cuttings but
does not seed (flowers beautifully, bees love it). Explains a lot!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Bobby wrote:
Yesterday I went out looking for it growing in the wild and transplanted
eight sections of root onto a piece of scrub land closer to my garden.
Apparently it spreads like wildfire, and is very difficult to eradicate
(hence the planting on scrub land) but the plant sucks nutrients from as far
as 6 feet below the surface and stores them in it's leaves.
Has anyone else had any experience of this plant in their garden?

Yes! Fabulous stuff - put it in your compost, or use as mulch around
courgettes. I do before going on holidays.

Comfrey Andre Kristani Australia 5 12-06-2004 12:03 PM
Getting rid of comfrey Jeremy Lunn Australia 5 05-11-2003 01:02 AM
Comfrey as prophylactic? ;-) David Berry United Kingdom 3 30-07-2003 03:03 PM
Something growing in my comfrey liquid !!! Druss United Kingdom 8 23-06-2003 09:32 AM
Comfrey as a Green Fertilizer? Computerman United Kingdom 10 07-05-2003 01:44 AM