GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   conservatory plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/142132-conservatory-plants.html)

Mac 08-04-2006 04:52 PM

conservatory plants

hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i would
like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope with extreme
weather. all help appreciated. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.

mac

Space 08-04-2006 05:03 PM

conservatory plants

How about aloe vera? however soneone here can comment about how this
survives the cold. i have one which is in the direction of a very cold
draught and it is doing very well.

it really is a lovely plant.

Cheryl 08-04-2006 11:00 PM

conservatory plants

I have discovered that plants from the succulent family do very well in my
conservatory. Mine have doubled in size over the winter in our unheated
conservatory.

JennyC 09-04-2006 06:14 AM

conservatory plants

"Mac" wrote in message ...
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i would
like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope with extreme
weather. all help appreciated. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.
mac

Extreme weather ? Hot or cold - or both ?

How big is the conservatory?

Do you have other activities going on in there? Dining, sitting, office?

How good a gardener are you ? Some plants can need special care

Jenny

Sue 09-04-2006 03:06 PM

conservatory plants

"Mac" wrote
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i
would like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope
with extreme weather. all help appreciated. please reply to
newsgroups.

Sanseveria (Mother-in-law's tongue), Spider plants, Crassula (Jade plant
or Money tree), cacti, aloes and pelargoniums all cope with summer heat
and and winter cold in a conservatory.

--
Sue

K 09-04-2006 04:00 PM

conservatory plants

Cheryl writes
I have discovered that plants from the succulent family do very well in my
conservatory. Mine have doubled in size over the winter in our unheated
conservatory.

Except that there isn't a single succulent family - plants from several
different families have developed succulent leaves. So being succulent
isn't necessarily a guarantee of success in a conservatory.

"Mac" wrote in message ...
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i
would
like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope with

extreme
weather. all help appreciated. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.

mac

--
Kay

K 09-04-2006 04:02 PM

conservatory plants

Sue writes

"Mac" wrote
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i
would like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope
with extreme weather. all help appreciated. please reply to
newsgroups.

Sanseveria (Mother-in-law's tongue), Spider plants, Crassula (Jade plant
or Money tree), cacti, aloes and pelargoniums all cope with summer heat
and and winter cold in a conservatory.

Depends how cold. Crassula don't like being both cold and wet, neither
do cacti, and pelargoniums don't like frost.
--
Kay

Mac 10-04-2006 11:15 PM

conservatory plants

thank you for all that advice. think will go with aloe definitely and poss
something else.

cheers

mac

Charlie Pridham 11-04-2006 02:32 PM

conservatory plants

"Mac" wrote in message ...
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i would
like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope with

extreme
weather. all help appreciated. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.

mac

If you want a good climber Pandorea jasminoides, and Pandorea pandorana are
good

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha 11-04-2006 06:04 PM

conservatory plants

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Mac" wrote in message ...
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i would
like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope with

extreme
weather. all help appreciated. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.

If you want a good climber Pandorea jasminoides, and Pandorea pandorana are
good

And again, I'd like to suggest Holboellia! We have one flowering in
one of the larger greenhouses right now and it's knocking everyone's
socks off with the scent. They just can't believe that it can be grown
outside, that those small flowers are so highly scented and that it's
evergreen. It flies out of the nursery at this time of year.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Rupert 11-04-2006 07:34 PM

conservatory plants

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Mac" wrote in message ...
[...]

I always thought that Holboellia was a bit tender and needed cosseting?
Which particular one are you growing? It sounds like it might be worth a try
in W. Yorkshire perhaps.