Old 08-04-2006, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mac

Default conservatory plants

hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i would
like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope with extreme
weather. all help appreciated. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.

mac

Old 08-04-2006, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

How about aloe vera? however soneone here can comment about how this
survives the cold. i have one which is in the direction of a very cold
draught and it is doing very well.

it really is a lovely plant.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cheryl

I have discovered that plants from the succulent family do very well in my
conservatory. Mine have doubled in size over the winter in our unheated
conservatory.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Mac" wrote in message ...
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i would
like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope with extreme
weather. all help appreciated. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.
mac

Extreme weather ? Hot or cold - or both ?

How big is the conservatory?

Do you have other activities going on in there? Dining, sitting, office?

How good a gardener are you ? Some plants can need special care

Jenny

Old 09-04-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Mac" wrote
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i
would like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope
with extreme weather. all help appreciated. please reply to
newsgroups.

Sanseveria (Mother-in-law's tongue), Spider plants, Crassula (Jade plant
or Money tree), cacti, aloes and pelargoniums all cope with summer heat
and and winter cold in a conservatory.

--
Sue

Old 09-04-2006, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cheryl writes
I have discovered that plants from the succulent family do very well in my
conservatory. Mine have doubled in size over the winter in our unheated
conservatory.

Except that there isn't a single succulent family - plants from several
different families have developed succulent leaves. So being succulent
isn't necessarily a guarantee of success in a conservatory.

"Mac" wrote in message ...
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i
would
like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope with

extreme
weather. all help appreciated. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.

mac

--
Kay
Old 09-04-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue writes

"Mac" wrote
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i
would like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope
with extreme weather. all help appreciated. please reply to
newsgroups.

Sanseveria (Mother-in-law's tongue), Spider plants, Crassula (Jade plant
or Money tree), cacti, aloes and pelargoniums all cope with summer heat
and and winter cold in a conservatory.

Depends how cold. Crassula don't like being both cold and wet, neither
do cacti, and pelargoniums don't like frost.
--
Kay
Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mac

thank you for all that advice. think will go with aloe definitely and poss
something else.

cheers

mac

Old 11-04-2006, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Mac" wrote in message ...
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i would
like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope with

extreme
weather. all help appreciated. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.

mac

If you want a good climber Pandorea jasminoides, and Pandorea pandorana are
good

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-04-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Mac" wrote in message ...
hi, i need help in picking a couple of plants for my conservatory. i would
like the plants to be green all year round and be able to cope with

extreme
weather. all help appreciated. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.

If you want a good climber Pandorea jasminoides, and Pandorea pandorana are
good

And again, I'd like to suggest Holboellia! We have one flowering in
one of the larger greenhouses right now and it's knocking everyone's
socks off with the scent. They just can't believe that it can be grown
outside, that those small flowers are so highly scented and that it's
evergreen. It flies out of the nursery at this time of year.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-04-2006, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Mac" wrote in message ...
[...]

I always thought that Holboellia was a bit tender and needed cosseting?
Which particular one are you growing? It sounds like it might be worth a try
in W. Yorkshire perhaps.