GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   pink fir apple potatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/142253-re-pink-fir-apple-potatoes.html)

Chris Bacon 11-04-2006 10:23 AM

pink fir apple potatoes

The Reid wrote:
Following up to Chris Bacon
[Heritage Potatoes] Has some information - these were imported
(from ?) around 1850, thereafter I assume grown here.

my potato book says parentage unknown, only grown in UK. It would
probably be a cross or freak of the few early varieties grown?

Dunno. The RHS says "introduced before 1850". Perhaps the
gardeners will know where PFA pots. come from.

[email protected] 11-04-2006 11:24 AM

pink fir apple potatoes

My potato book says 'origin France 1850'.

Mike

Mike Lyle 11-04-2006 02:41 PM

pink fir apple potatoes

Chris Bacon wrote:
The Reid wrote:
Following up to Chris Bacon
[Heritage Potatoes] Has some information - these were imported
(from ?) around 1850, thereafter I assume grown here.

my potato book says parentage unknown, only grown in UK. It would
probably be a cross or freak of the few early varieties grown?

Dunno. The RHS says "introduced before 1850". Perhaps the
gardeners will know where PFA pots. come from.

They're very like some of the ancestral varieties they grow in the
Andes. I've never been there, sad to say, but I imagine most people have
seen those marvellous photos of Andean markets with all the different
shapes and colours of potatoes on display. Long may they continue,
without interference from the big seed companies!

Not the best example, but this shows what I mean:
http://tinyurl.com/o7axj
or:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...UTF-8%26sa%3DG

--
Mike.

Umbrian 11-04-2006 02:50 PM

pink fir apple potatoes

Mike Lyle wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
The Reid wrote:
[...]

And some are just amazing potatoes, too. One turns your mouth blue or
purple.