Old 11-04-2006, 10:23 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Default pink fir apple potatoes

The Reid wrote:
Following up to Chris Bacon
[Heritage Potatoes] Has some information - these were imported
(from ?) around 1850, thereafter I assume grown here.

my potato book says parentage unknown, only grown in UK. It would
probably be a cross or freak of the few early varieties grown?

Dunno. The RHS says "introduced before 1850". Perhaps the
gardeners will know where PFA pots. come from.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

My potato book says 'origin France 1850'.

Mike

Old 11-04-2006, 02:41 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Chris Bacon wrote:
The Reid wrote:
Following up to Chris Bacon
[Heritage Potatoes] Has some information - these were imported
(from ?) around 1850, thereafter I assume grown here.

my potato book says parentage unknown, only grown in UK. It would
probably be a cross or freak of the few early varieties grown?

Dunno. The RHS says "introduced before 1850". Perhaps the
gardeners will know where PFA pots. come from.

They're very like some of the ancestral varieties they grow in the
Andes. I've never been there, sad to say, but I imagine most people have
seen those marvellous photos of Andean markets with all the different
shapes and colours of potatoes on display. Long may they continue,
without interference from the big seed companies!

Not the best example, but this shows what I mean:
http://tinyurl.com/o7axj
or:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...UTF-8%26sa%3DG

--
Mike.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:50 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Umbrian

Mike Lyle wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
The Reid wrote:
[...]

And some are just amazing potatoes, too. One turns your mouth blue or
purple.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

They're very like some of the ancestral varieties they grow in the
Andes. I've never been there, sad to say, but I imagine most people have
seen those marvellous photos of Andean markets with all the different
shapes and colours of potatoes on display. Long may they continue,
without interference from the big seed companies!

Not the best example, but this shows what I mean:
http://tinyurl.com/o7axj

Oh my!

Pink: Daylily 'Webster's Pink Wonder' tennis maynard Garden Photos 0 02-07-2007 04:44 AM
POE 2007 - Bc. Samba Pink Dream - creamy pink floof Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:01 AM
Douglas fir or Douglas-fir?? [email protected] Plant Science 3 29-06-2005 02:12 AM
Pink Fir Apple Bruce United Kingdom 0 06-04-2004 09:38 PM
Pink Fir Apple Bruce Edible Gardening 1 02-04-2004 03:09 PM