Old 11-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Registered User

Default Have I found a cure for honey fungus?!

I had a prunus tree die from honey fungus infection which then started to spread to conifers within the bed. The bed was isolated from the rest of the garden by a tarmac driveway, so I'd planned to sterilise the bed sometime in the future.

However, last year I decided to throw all of the mulched laurel hedge cuttings on to the bed everytime i cut the hedge.

In the Autumn, there was suprisingly no fungus growth and having inspected the soil, the honey fungus seems to have gone!

Could it be the cyanide that mulched laurel leaves give off when they are crushed?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

i doubt it....if there was no food for the mellia then it might have gone, it needs wood to live on...are you sure it was honey fungus in the first place.?
Old 13-04-2006, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

I made a reply to 'Pine trees keep dying'
I have a fair amount of experience of honey fungus and the answer to your
question is no.
Look at the RHS web site.
Regards
David T