GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potato Sprouts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/142724-potato-sprouts.html)

Zinc Potterman 20-04-2006 09:37 AM

Potato Sprouts

If the sprouting books are anything to go by, seed sprouts are incredibly
good for us.
Now my maincrop (Cara) spuds fron last year have enormous sprouts.
Anyone know if they are edible. They are not green.
Zinc
zincnews at tiscali.co.uk
To reply to address don't click.
Cut and paste, change at to @ symbol
then delete spaces.
------------------------------------

michael adams 20-04-2006 09:51 AM

Potato Sprouts

"Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to reply) wrote
in message ...
If the sprouting books are anything to go by, seed sprouts are incredibly
good for us.
Now my maincrop (Cara) spuds fron last year have enormous sprouts.
Anyone know if they are edible. They are not green.
Zinc

Seed sprouts are nutritious because they contain all
the nutrients contained in the seed, necessarily in a
highly concentrated form.

Most if not all the nutrients in a sprouted potato is
still inside the tuber. Not the sprout.

michael adams

zincnews at tiscali.co.uk

Steve Harris 20-04-2006 05:39 PM

Potato Sprouts

In article ,
. (delete 123's to reply) (Zinc Potterman)
wrote:

Anyone know if they are edible.

Most parts of the potato plant are poisonous! I would check very
carefully before eating the sprouts.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Zinc Potterman 20-04-2006 10:05 PM

Potato Sprouts

Yeh I tried a little bit and it took the back of me throat off almost.
Whoops

zincnews at tiscali.co.uk

K 28-04-2006 05:33 PM

Potato Sprouts

Zinc Potterman writes
Yeh I tried a little bit and it took the back of me throat off almost.
Whoops

As someone has pointed out already, the potato isn't a seed, it's a
tuber. And most parts of the potato are extremely poisonous (including
the fruits). I'd also caution you against wholesale sampling of seed
sprouts - many plants are poisonous to a greater or lesser degree.
--
Kay