Old 20-04-2006, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Zinc Potterman

Default Potato Sprouts

If the sprouting books are anything to go by, seed sprouts are incredibly
good for us.
Now my maincrop (Cara) spuds fron last year have enormous sprouts.
Anyone know if they are edible. They are not green.
Zinc
zincnews at tiscali.co.uk
To reply to address don't click.
Cut and paste, change at to @ symbol
then delete spaces.
------------------------------------

Old 20-04-2006, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to reply) wrote
in message ...
If the sprouting books are anything to go by, seed sprouts are incredibly
good for us.
Now my maincrop (Cara) spuds fron last year have enormous sprouts.
Anyone know if they are edible. They are not green.
Zinc

Seed sprouts are nutritious because they contain all
the nutrients contained in the seed, necessarily in a
highly concentrated form.

Most if not all the nutrients in a sprouted potato is
still inside the tuber. Not the sprout.

michael adams

zincnews at tiscali.co.uk

Old 20-04-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Zinc Potterman

Yeh I tried a little bit and it took the back of me throat off almost.
Whoops

zincnews at tiscali.co.uk

Old 28-04-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Zinc Potterman writes
Yeh I tried a little bit and it took the back of me throat off almost.
Whoops

As someone has pointed out already, the potato isn't a seed, it's a
tuber. And most parts of the potato are extremely poisonous (including
the fruits). I'd also caution you against wholesale sampling of seed
sprouts - many plants are poisonous to a greater or lesser degree.
--
Kay