Old 22-04-2006, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

Default Rasberrry shooting from base.

We planted a rasberry plant in October, bare canes 30cm high. It has now
started shooting from the base, while the canes remain bare. Should we
just leave it the canes as they are or trim them back to the base? My
instinct says leave them. TIA for any feedback.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 22-04-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul wrote:
We planted a rasberry plant in October, bare canes 30cm high. It has now
started shooting from the base, while the canes remain bare. Should we
just leave it the canes as they are or trim them back to the base? My
instinct says leave them. TIA for any feedback.

It's not unusual for certain varieties, probably the late fruiting
ones, to be pruned back to within a couple of inches of the ground and
then they shoot from the base again in the spring. In practice it's a
fairly brutal thing to do to young plants, they probably need a couple
of years to get a good root going before you clip them like that..

In your case I would not be surprised if the fruit appeared on the new
shoots and that what remains of the canes to be barren. But if in
doubt, leave it alone and see what happens. It's young, and probably
just as confused as you are.

Old 23-04-2006, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Paul wrote:
In message . com,
writes
Paul wrote:
We planted a rasberry plant in October, bare canes 30cm high. It has now
started shooting from the base, while the canes remain bare. Should we
just leave it the canes as they are or trim them back to the base? My
instinct says leave them. TIA for any feedback.

It's not unusual for certain varieties, probably the late fruiting
ones, to be pruned back to within a couple of inches of the ground and
then they shoot from the base again in the spring. In practice it's a
fairly brutal thing to do to young plants, they probably need a couple
of years to get a good root going before you clip them like that..

In your case I would not be surprised if the fruit appeared on the new
shoots and that what remains of the canes to be barren. But if in
doubt, leave it alone and see what happens. It's young, and probably
just as confused as you are.

Indeed, so basically follow my instinct.

I've no experience of Autumn fruiting raspberries, but Summer fruiting
are normally planted one year, then later that year they will send out
usually just one cane. That cane will fruit the next year and send out
(hopefully) several canes, which will fruit the following year, to be
enjoyed with cream. What I like is that they freeze extremely well, so
gluts are not a problem.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Old 24-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

I've no experience of Autumn fruiting raspberries, but Summer fruiting
are normally planted one year, then later that year they will send out
usually just one cane. That cane will fruit the next year and send out
(hopefully) several canes, which will fruit the following year, to be
enjoyed with cream.[/quote]

Autumn fruiting raspberries fruit on the current year's cane, so you just cut all the canes down to the ground after fruiting. Much less fuss, and as an added bonus the fruit have far fewer worms than summer raspberries, and an excellent flavour. Only problem is that you can't eat them with your strawberries.

With summer fruiting raspberries you have to selectively prune out the fruited canes, as they fruit on second year canes.

Old 24-04-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Following up to "Clare" :

Autumn fruiting rasberries fruit on the current year's wood, unlike the
traditional summer fruiting ones which fruit on the previous years
growth. Therefore the normal advice is to cut Autumn fruiting
varieties down to just a few inches above the ground at the end of the
season after they have fruited. I've never thought about what might
happen if you leave the fruited canes - but you seem to have answered
that.

So don't worry, the shoots from the base will fruit this Autumn.

Clare (growing "Autumn Bliss").

I have a patch with mixed autumn and summer fruiting varieties in it, all
mixed up. In the Autumn I just cut back the ones that have fruited (you can
tell by the remnants of the flower stalks and the odd shriveled up berry)
and leave the rest. Seems to work.
--
Tim C.
Old 25-04-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to "Clare" :

Autumn fruiting rasberries fruit on the current year's wood, unlike the
traditional summer fruiting ones which fruit on the previous years
growth. Therefore the normal advice is to cut Autumn fruiting
varieties down to just a few inches above the ground at the end of the
season after they have fruited. I've never thought about what might
happen if you leave the fruited canes - but you seem to have answered
that.

So don't worry, the shoots from the base will fruit this Autumn.

Clare (growing "Autumn Bliss").

I have a patch with mixed autumn and summer fruiting varieties in it, all
mixed up.

me too.

In the Autumn I just cut back the ones that have fruited (you can
tell by the remnants of the flower stalks and the odd shriveled up berry)
and leave the rest. Seems to work.

Autumn fruiters tend to be are different in habit, in that they do not
fruit all at once, but start by flowering and fruiting at the top of the
cane, and progress back down the cane until it gets too cold.

There are always a few autumn fruiting canes that have only fruited at the
very tip of the cane. I tend to leave a few of those, and snip the end of
the cane off. They usually fruit as very early summer raspberries next
season.

Jim
autumn bliss and allgold