Old 01-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire
Default Hoster

Hi,

I am new to gardening and this forum, so I need some help.

The previous owners of the house we bought left us a plant - apparently called hoster. I can't find reference to it or its official name on the internet, but I found a pictu

http://www.mbphotography.net/Details/slides/Hoster.html

The problem is the leaves get eaten by some kind of worm almost before they pop out. What do we do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Yelena
Old 01-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Registered User

Hi Yelena

Your hosta will be very beautiful when you have managed to deter the hungry slugs andr snails (in my opinion). You need to put something around it to stop them getting onto the leaves - when I lived in the UK I used to buy coco shells as this was quite attractive and the slugs and snails won't walk across it. You can also use sharp grit as they dont like this either. Failing that you could try slug pellets, but (a) its not very eco friendly and (b) it doesnt look very good.

Best of luck
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenousha

Old 01-05-2006, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

http://tinyurl.com/hun9r

The problem is the leaves get eaten by some kind of worm almost before
they pop out. What do we do?

Any help would be appreciated.
Yelena

It's spelt Hosta :~))