GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   automatic irrigation for greenhouse? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143382-automatic-irrigation-greenhouse.html)

[email protected] 02-05-2006 11:06 AM

automatic irrigation for greenhouse?

Anyone know how to rig up a simple irrigation system for a 8'x12'
greenhouse.
It is for when we are away for a few days (or 2 weeks this summer on
holidays) at a time.
I do not want to get into complicated timers are big expense but
wondered if there were any simple ways of doing it (maybe with a
cistern of some kind).

Des in Dublin

Derek Turner 02-05-2006 01:51 PM

wrote:
Anyone know how to rig up a simple irrigation system for a 8'x12'
greenhouse.
It is for when we are away for a few days (or 2 weeks this summer on
holidays) at a time.
I do not want to get into complicated timers are big expense but
wondered if there were any simple ways of doing it (maybe with a
cistern of some kind).

Des in Dublin

Two Wests and Elliott do a simple, inexpensive gravity-fed system but it
still requires a neighbour to pop in every two or three day to refill
the reservoir(s)

www.twowests.co.uk

under Bag Drip Watering Kit.

hth Derek.

Derek Turner 02-05-2006 01:55 PM

automatic irrigation for greenhouse?

specifically:

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSi...uct/SDBDWK.htm

not easy to navigate to!

[email protected] 02-05-2006 02:07 PM

Derek Turner wrote:
wrote:
Anyone know how to rig up a simple irrigation system for a 8'x12'
greenhouse.
It is for when we are away for a few days (or 2 weeks this summer on
holidays) at a time.
I do not want to get into complicated timers are big expense but
wondered if there were any simple ways of doing it (maybe with a
cistern of some kind).

Des in Dublin

Two Wests and Elliott do a simple, inexpensive gravity-fed system but it
still requires a neighbour to pop in every two or three day to refill
the reservoir(s)

www.twowests.co.uk

under Bag Drip Watering Kit.

hth Derek.

Thanks for that info Derek:
I also just found
http://tinyurl.com/l7743
cheap systems on e-bay.
I would hope to connect that to a water tank raised up say 1.5 metres
and that would hold enough water for a few days (maybe more).

NathalieM 02-05-2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by
Anyone know how to rig up a simple irrigation system for a 8'x12'
Des in Dublin

Hi Des
You could put a line of capillary matting on your staging with both ends hanging in a trough of water (make sure the whole of the matting is soaked). The matting stays wet, the pots stay on the matting and draw up the moisture from the matting. Always good to have a friendly neighbour to check that there's enough water and nothing's getting fried in the sun. I've also got the Gravity bag/drip system for my grow bags - it's a fantastic bargain and provides a stress-free holiday!
Good luck!
Nathalie

[email protected] 03-05-2006 10:43 AM

NathalieM wrote:
Wrote:
Anyone know how to rig up a simple irrigation system for a 8'x12'
Des in Dublin

Hi Des
You could put a line of capillary matting on your staging with both
ends hanging in a trough of water (make sure the whole of the matting
is soaked). The matting stays wet, the pots stay on the matting and
draw up the moisture from the matting. Always good to have a friendly
neighbour to check that there's enough water and nothing's getting
fried in the sun. I've also got the Gravity bag/drip system for my
grow bags - it's a fantastic bargain and provides a stress-free
holiday!
Good luck!
Nathalie

thanks Nathalie; I have used capillary matting before for small pots
but this time I need to water 20 tomato plants in the ground. I have
ordered 9 quids worth of pipes and tubes over e-bay which is supposed
to be for irrigation and I will see if I can rig up a tank and timer.

Des in DIY mood in Dublin

--
NathalieM