GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   water butt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143415-water-butt.html)

NC 02-05-2006 09:20 PM

water butt

Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn sprinkler
- the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would anything like
this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to put it on the
roof to get the needed presure ?!
My veg patch isn't big enough to warrant a butt just for watering this.

VX 02-05-2006 11:43 PM

water butt

On Tue, 2 May 2006 21:20:48 +0100, NC wrote
(in message ):

Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn sprinkler
- the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would anything like
this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to put it on the
roof to get the needed presure ?!
My veg patch isn't big enough to warrant a butt just for watering this.

Gravity alone will empty a water butt quite slowly- it will be just a trickle
compared to what you are hoping for. But you can buy "water butt pumps" that
will give you the desired water pressure, or something similar.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

chris French 02-05-2006 11:52 PM

water butt

In message , NC
writes
Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn sprinkler
- the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would anything like
this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to put it on the
roof to get the needed presure ?!

I would imagine you would need to put a pump on the supply to get enough
pressure. But why bother, a lawn may look a bit brown and dry in a hot
spell, but come the rain it soon recovers. And at the time the lawn
would need it would a butt have enough water to be worthwhile?
Sprinklers use fair bit.

--
Chris French

NC 03-05-2006 06:45 AM

water butt

chris French wrote:
In message , NC
writes

Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn
sprinkler - the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would
anything like this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to
put it on the roof to get the needed presure ?!

I would imagine you would need to put a pump on the supply to get enough
pressure. But why bother, a lawn may look a bit brown and dry in a hot
spell, but come the rain it soon recovers. And at the time the lawn
would need it would a butt have enough water to be worthwhile?
Sprinklers use fair bit.

Fair point. However, the turf was only put down in Feb, so I want to
make sure it get a good drink when it needs it this year. I may be a
little more tight with the water next year.

George.com 03-05-2006 08:25 AM

water butt

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
On Tue, 2 May 2006 21:20:48 +0100, NC wrote
(in message ):

Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn sprinkler
- the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would anything like
this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to put it on the
roof to get the needed presure ?!
My veg patch isn't big enough to warrant a butt just for watering this.

Gravity alone will empty a water butt quite slowly- it will be just a

trickle
compared to what you are hoping for. But you can buy "water butt pumps"

that
will give you the desired water pressure, or something similar.

same type question I asked about a few weeks ago. Either had to put a large
fall on the tank to get it through a hose/sprinkler/soaker hose or attach a
pump. I reckon I will get a 1000L + water tank at some stage but use it for
the vege garden.

rob

Chris Hogg 03-05-2006 07:31 PM

water butt

On Tue, 02 May 2006 21:20:48 +0100, NC wrote:

Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn sprinkler
- the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would anything like
this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to put it on the
roof to get the needed presure ?!
My veg patch isn't big enough to warrant a butt just for watering this.

I doubt you'd get more than one brief watering from any conventional
sized butt. Hardly worth the effort IMO.

--
Chris

simplesprinkler 06-05-2006 06:39 PM

I think its actually illegal to run a sprinkler from the mains although it would work. Ive set up lawn irrigation through pop ups and have built a website showing what I did.Also im thinking about having a go making a business.
Look at www.simplesprinklers.bravehost.com to see what I did.
Stuart