Old 02-05-2006, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Default water butt

Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn sprinkler
- the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would anything like
this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to put it on the
roof to get the needed presure ?!
My veg patch isn't big enough to warrant a butt just for watering this.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Tue, 2 May 2006 21:20:48 +0100, NC wrote
(in message ):

Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn sprinkler
- the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would anything like
this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to put it on the
roof to get the needed presure ?!
My veg patch isn't big enough to warrant a butt just for watering this.

Gravity alone will empty a water butt quite slowly- it will be just a trickle
compared to what you are hoping for. But you can buy "water butt pumps" that
will give you the desired water pressure, or something similar.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 02-05-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , NC
writes
Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn sprinkler
- the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would anything like
this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to put it on the
roof to get the needed presure ?!

I would imagine you would need to put a pump on the supply to get enough
pressure. But why bother, a lawn may look a bit brown and dry in a hot
spell, but come the rain it soon recovers. And at the time the lawn
would need it would a butt have enough water to be worthwhile?
Sprinklers use fair bit.

--
Chris French

Old 03-05-2006, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

chris French wrote:
In message , NC
writes

Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn
sprinkler - the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would
anything like this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to
put it on the roof to get the needed presure ?!

I would imagine you would need to put a pump on the supply to get enough
pressure. But why bother, a lawn may look a bit brown and dry in a hot
spell, but come the rain it soon recovers. And at the time the lawn
would need it would a butt have enough water to be worthwhile?
Sprinklers use fair bit.

Fair point. However, the turf was only put down in Feb, so I want to
make sure it get a good drink when it needs it this year. I may be a
little more tight with the water next year.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
On Tue, 2 May 2006 21:20:48 +0100, NC wrote
(in message ):

Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn sprinkler
- the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would anything like
this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to put it on the
roof to get the needed presure ?!
My veg patch isn't big enough to warrant a butt just for watering this.

Gravity alone will empty a water butt quite slowly- it will be just a

trickle
compared to what you are hoping for. But you can buy "water butt pumps"

that
will give you the desired water pressure, or something similar.

same type question I asked about a few weeks ago. Either had to put a large
fall on the tank to get it through a hose/sprinkler/soaker hose or attach a
pump. I reckon I will get a 1000L + water tank at some stage but use it for
the vege garden.

rob

Old 03-05-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 02 May 2006 21:20:48 +0100, NC wrote:

Tempted to get a water butt (why not hop on the bandwagon!). However,
its main use would be to water the lawn. I usually use a lawn sprinkler
- the pressure in the cold main driving the jets. Would anything like
this be possible with a water butt, or would I have to put it on the
roof to get the needed presure ?!
My veg patch isn't big enough to warrant a butt just for watering this.

I doubt you'd get more than one brief watering from any conventional
sized butt. Hardly worth the effort IMO.

--
Chris

Old 06-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Registered User

I think its actually illegal to run a sprinkler from the mains although it would work. Ive set up lawn irrigation through pop ups and have built a website showing what I did.Also im thinking about having a go making a business.
Look at www.simplesprinklers.bravehost.com to see what I did.
Stuart

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking? AL_n United Kingdom 73 11-03-2012 11:00 AM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson United Kingdom 9 03-07-2003 11:32 PM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson Ponds 12 03-07-2003 11:32 PM
Water Butt Repair? Drakanthus United Kingdom 7 07-05-2003 01:44 AM
Algae in water butt Mary Fisher United Kingdom 11 25-03-2003 05:56 AM