GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Brambles (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143460-brambles.html)

Ian 03-05-2006 06:02 PM

Brambles

Hello group.

I have a bramble problem. They are growing in a bunch of bushes. I cut them
back, but the buggers keep coming up again.

The roots are hard/impossible to get at without destroying the plants/bushes
i want to keep.

What is the best way to kill them off?

Thanks,

a non gardener (take all instruction from Carol)

Ian

Janet Baraclough 03-05-2006 06:51 PM

Brambles

The message
from "Ian" contains these words:

Hello group.

I have a bramble problem. They are growing in a bunch of bushes. I cut them
back, but the buggers keep coming up again.

The roots are hard/impossible to get at without destroying the
plants/bushes
i want to keep.

What is the best way to kill them off?

Cut off all the bramble stems low down, and paint the raw surfaces
before they dry up, with a heavy duty brushkiller such as SBK
(available from any GC) .

Janet

Ian 03-05-2006 07:03 PM

Brambles

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Ian" contains these words:

Hello group.

I have a bramble problem. They are growing in a bunch of bushes. I cut
them
back, but the buggers keep coming up again.

The roots are hard/impossible to get at without destroying the
plants/bushes
i want to keep.

What is the best way to kill them off?

Cut off all the bramble stems low down, and paint the raw surfaces
before they dry up, with a heavy duty brushkiller such as SBK
(available from any GC) .

Janet

Thanks Janet,

Will give that a try. I have been out cutting them back this pm, but will
not get a chance to do what you suggest till Sunday - is this too long to
leave the cut stems before treating them?

Ta

Ian

Mike 03-05-2006 07:13 PM

Brambles

Will give that a try. I have been out cutting them back this pm, but will
not get a chance to do what you suggest till Sunday - is this too long to
leave the cut stems before treating them?

Ta

Ian

Just keep cutting them back. As soon as they poke their heads above
theground ............ CHOP :-))

No chemicals no nothing :-)

I had half an acre which was full of all sorts. Kept cutting them back,
running the mower over them and ended up 'cutting grass' :-)) Even grazed
horses on the grass before it was built on :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Janet Baraclough 03-05-2006 09:04 PM

Brambles

The message
from "Ian" contains these words:

Will give that a try. I have been out cutting them back this pm, but will
not get a chance to do what you suggest till Sunday - is this too long to
leave the cut stems before treating them?

You could always nick off another slice to leave a raw surface for
best absorption.

Janet

Blossom 14-05-2006 09:33 PM

I had a big brambles problem in a flower bed, and just sprayed Roundup on the leaves. This is a systemic weedkiller ( ie it travels down from the leaves and kills the roots) which is also bio-degradable, leaving no residue in the soil.

Once they died back I just dug around the roots and pulled 'em out. If you can't dig out the roots, well just leave 'em.

BUT, if you've got the space somewhere, brambles = BLACKBERRIES!! Yum Yum. Blackberry and apple, from the garden, is the best of home produce IMHO.