Old 03-05-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian

Default Brambles

Hello group.

I have a bramble problem. They are growing in a bunch of bushes. I cut them
back, but the buggers keep coming up again.

The roots are hard/impossible to get at without destroying the plants/bushes
i want to keep.

What is the best way to kill them off?

Thanks,

a non gardener (take all instruction from Carol)

Ian

Old 03-05-2006, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Ian" contains these words:

Hello group.

I have a bramble problem. They are growing in a bunch of bushes. I cut them
back, but the buggers keep coming up again.

The roots are hard/impossible to get at without destroying the
plants/bushes
i want to keep.

What is the best way to kill them off?

Cut off all the bramble stems low down, and paint the raw surfaces
before they dry up, with a heavy duty brushkiller such as SBK
(available from any GC) .

Janet
Old 03-05-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Ian" contains these words:

Hello group.

I have a bramble problem. They are growing in a bunch of bushes. I cut
them
back, but the buggers keep coming up again.

The roots are hard/impossible to get at without destroying the
plants/bushes
i want to keep.

What is the best way to kill them off?

Cut off all the bramble stems low down, and paint the raw surfaces
before they dry up, with a heavy duty brushkiller such as SBK
(available from any GC) .

Janet

Thanks Janet,

Will give that a try. I have been out cutting them back this pm, but will
not get a chance to do what you suggest till Sunday - is this too long to
leave the cut stems before treating them?

Ta

Ian

Old 03-05-2006, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Will give that a try. I have been out cutting them back this pm, but will
not get a chance to do what you suggest till Sunday - is this too long to
leave the cut stems before treating them?

Ta

Ian

Just keep cutting them back. As soon as they poke their heads above
theground ............ CHOP :-))

No chemicals no nothing :-)

I had half an acre which was full of all sorts. Kept cutting them back,
running the mower over them and ended up 'cutting grass' :-)) Even grazed
horses on the grass before it was built on :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 03-05-2006, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Ian" contains these words:

Will give that a try. I have been out cutting them back this pm, but will
not get a chance to do what you suggest till Sunday - is this too long to
leave the cut stems before treating them?

You could always nick off another slice to leave a raw surface for
best absorption.

Janet

Old 14-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Worthing, England

I had a big brambles problem in a flower bed, and just sprayed Roundup on the leaves. This is a systemic weedkiller ( ie it travels down from the leaves and kills the roots) which is also bio-degradable, leaving no residue in the soil.

Once they died back I just dug around the roots and pulled 'em out. If you can't dig out the roots, well just leave 'em.

BUT, if you've got the space somewhere, brambles = BLACKBERRIES!! Yum Yum. Blackberry and apple, from the garden, is the best of home produce IMHO.

brambles Lu United Kingdom 12 01-09-2004 09:38 AM
Getting rid of brambles. Zapp Brannigan United Kingdom 21 02-10-2003 01:32 AM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 5 11-09-2003 12:12 PM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 1 09-09-2003 12:12 AM
Killing Brambles Barbara B United Kingdom 9 30-12-2002 12:08 PM