GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT :- Aphids are they edible ?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143557-ot-aphids-they-edible.html)

Gardening_Convert 05-05-2006 12:08 PM

OT :- Aphids are they edible ??

I had a strange and disturbing thought yesterday but are Aphids edible
??

I just though you could have a never ending supply for some unknown
delicacy , just think of it , you could farm your aphids , bottle them
up and sell them :)

I though this as I was squashing many of them who were muching away on
my climbing rose :(

michael adams 05-05-2006 12:36 PM

OT :- Aphids are they edible ??

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a strange and disturbing thought yesterday but are Aphids
edible ??

Yup. They form a large part of the diet of ladybirds,
alongside thrips, mites and mealy bugs.

michael adams

Cat(h) 05-05-2006 01:01 PM

OT :- Aphids are they edible ??

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I had a strange and disturbing thought yesterday but are Aphids edible
??

I certainly hope so, seen as I am not always the most thorough washer
of home grown lettuce...

Cat(h)

La Puce 05-05-2006 02:22 PM

OT :- Aphids are they edible ??

Cat(h) wrote:
Gardening_Convert wrote:
I had a strange and disturbing thought yesterday but are Aphids edible
??

I certainly hope so, seen as I am not always the most thorough washer
of home grown lettuce...

It's proteins, I tell myself, especially when I ride my bike and sing
along. It's amazing the amount I swallow :o)

Janet Baraclough 05-05-2006 02:24 PM

OT :- Aphids are they edible ??

The message .com
from "Gardening_Convert" contains these words:

I had a strange and disturbing thought yesterday but are Aphids edible
??

I just though you could have a never ending supply for some unknown
delicacy , just think of it , you could farm your aphids , bottle them
up and sell them :)

I've often seen them served as a low-calorie salad dressing.

Janet

Alan Holmes 05-05-2006 02:49 PM

OT :- Aphids are they edible ??

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a strange and disturbing thought yesterday but are Aphids edible
??

I just though you could have a never ending supply for some unknown
delicacy , just think of it , you could farm your aphids , bottle them
up and sell them :)

I though this as I was squashing many of them who were muching away on
my climbing rose :(

I just a had brilliant idea!

Why don't you eat some and let us know the result!

Alan