Old 11-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Registered User

Default Moving plants from flint wall...

Hi there,

I am a complete novice, but very keen.
We are buying a flat with a walled coutyard. We currently rent a beautiful old cottage with a large cottage style garden, its going to be quite a change!
Anyway, our current garden is surrounded by an ancient flint wall, out of which there is a beautiful delicate plant growing in places (its a hanging, climbing type thing). It has tiny little purple flowers that if looked at very closely look a bit like a snap dragon flower.
I desperately want to take a piece of it with me and try and grow it on the walls in our new coutyard garden. But i have no idea how! Does anyone have any ideas?

I love walls with plants growing out of them, i see lots of it on holiday in devon, and i really want to recreate this in my little yard in worthing.

I'd be really grateful of any ideas on how to do this?

Megan
Old 11-05-2006, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

meg27 wrote:
Hi there,

I am a complete novice, but very keen.
We are buying a flat with a walled coutyard. We currently rent a
beautiful old cottage with a large cottage style garden, its going to
be quite a change!
Anyway, our current garden is surrounded by an ancient flint wall, out
of which there is a beautiful delicate plant growing in places (its a
hanging, climbing type thing). It has tiny little purple flowers that
if looked at very closely look a bit like a snap dragon flower.
I desperately want to take a piece of it with me and try and grow it on
the walls in our new coutyard garden. But i have no idea how! Does
anyone have any ideas?

You could try winkling some out with a knife, making sure there's a bit
of root attached. Then put it into a pot of compost and let it develop
a bit more root. The problem with that might be getting the whole
thing, intact, into your wall. Or you could find a wildflower site
that sells seeds, like this one. Put the seeds into a little ball of
compost and pack them into the gaps in your new walls.

snip
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-05-2006, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

meg27 wrote:
[...]

Seeds for cymbalaria muralis are advertised on

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/vines.htm

so if the transplanting from 'home' fails, all is not necessarily lost.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

meg27 wrote:
[...]

Its called Ivy leafed Toad flax and as its almost impossible to get rid of I
don't
expect you will have any problems transferring some :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk