Old 14-05-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sts4Heffer

Default Shirasawanum update

well here it is in May 2006 foliage

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/Shirasa.htm

dj

Old 14-05-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:36:17 +0100
"Sts4Heffer" wrote:

well here it is in May 2006 foliage

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/Shirasa.htm

dj

Yep, looks much like mine. Except better. I've one branch
about a third of the way up, with maybe 7 leaves. Trying to
find out if I should cut back.

Have you got any more information on how to proceed? Sure
looks like we're in the same boat.

However the A. shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' is looking positively
brilliant, didn't suffer at all from the winter.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 14-05-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sts4Heffer

"Sts4Heffer" wrote:

well here it is in May 2006 foliage

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/Shirasa.htm

dj

Yep, looks much like mine. Except better. I've one branch
about a third of the way up, with maybe 7 leaves. Trying to
find out if I should cut back.

Have you got any more information on how to proceed? Sure
looks like we're in the same boat.

However the A. shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' is looking positively
brilliant, didn't suffer at all from the winter.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

The garden centre, Humbees, Winchester, which is not really such because all
they mostly sell trees and shrubs told me to leave it as is this year and
see what transpires next.

One poster here says don't cut back but break off dead branches. In my case
it's very difficult to differentiate dead or alive at present.

It's not going to get better this year so I intend leaving alone and not
even breaking/cutting anything. I will repot into a glazed pot at the end of
this season and add some new soil to see what happens next.

dj

Old 15-05-2006, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

"Sts4Heffer" wrote:

[...]

I just spoke to the nurseryman M. Adeline about the tree. He says
it has phytophtora from the description. His treatment is to water
1.5 g/l of Aliette. This is a systemic fungicide available in France, it
may be available in UK also or there may be an equivalent (benomyl?).
He also recommends feeding with 12/12/18 granules, then repeating
the Aliette on 15 june.

I'm dubious about the feeding, but might give it a try anyway. I guess the
idea is to promote some leaf growth.

He says it will be clear what is dead wood later in the season, then it
should be cut off. In my experience it is always a bad idea to leave
dead wood on Japanese maples.

-E

Old 15-05-2006, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sts4Heffer

"Sts4Heffer" wrote:

[...]

E I think I may have posted to your prob over on the Botanic
site........there seems to be a clash of opinions on this problem....

Old 15-05-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

"Sts4Heffer" wrote:

[...]

Indeed, although I probably won't get to reply 'til tomorrow. That's
probably the better forum to pursue this issue. Not sure
there will be a consensus anyway.

See you on the other side.

-E