Old 16-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Registered User

Default Help! My first strawberry plant is dying.

Hi people
I'm new to the site and new to having anything to do with plants full stop, but we all have to start somewhere . I have bought 3 strawberry plants and 2 of them are very happy but 1 has recently started going down hill. Its a Raphsody plant and around the base of the plant the soil has this fine furry white mold type stuff appearing. Also the leaves are developing a small brown patch/spot at the end of each tip of the leaf which eventually makes the leaf wilt and die. What am I doing wrong? Thank you
Old 16-05-2006, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

scoob wrote:
Hi people
I'm new to the site and new to having anything to do with plants full
stop, but we all have to start somewhere . I have bought 3 strawberry
plants and 2 of them are very happy but 1 has recently started going
down hill. Its a Raphsody plant and around the base of the plant the
soil has this fine furry white mold type stuff appearing. Also the
leaves are developing a small brown patch/spot at the end of each tip
of the leaf which eventually makes the leaf wilt and die. What am I
doing wrong? Thank you

It's botrytis but so early it's strange but perhaps your plant got too
wet. This occur in very damp conditions. I would take that plant away
from the other and destroy it and make sure the others don't get so
wet. There is no organic cure sadly. Are they in your garden or in pots?

Old 17-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Puce
scoob wrote:
Hi people
I'm new to the site and new to having anything to do with plants full
stop, but we all have to start somewhere . I have bought 3 strawberry
plants and 2 of them are very happy but 1 has recently started going
down hill. Its a Raphsody plant and around the base of the plant the
soil has this fine furry white mold type stuff appearing. Also the
leaves are developing a small brown patch/spot at the end of each tip
of the leaf which eventually makes the leaf wilt and die. What am I
doing wrong? Thank you

It's botrytis but so early it's strange but perhaps your plant got too
wet. This occur in very damp conditions. I would take that plant away
from the other and destroy it and make sure the others don't get so
wet. There is no organic cure sadly. Are they in your garden or in pots?
They're on a big kitchen window sill that gets the sun in the morning but not the afternoon. I have other plants on there like a mini cucumber, is it airbourne? can it spread? How often should I be watering the strawberry plants? Should I let the soil dry before watering again. Thanks for your expertise.
Scoob
Old 17-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Registered User

scoob wrote:
Hi people
I'm new to the site and new to having anything to do with plants full
stop, but we all have to start somewhere . I have bought 3 strawberry
plants and 2 of them are very happy but 1 has recently started going
down hill. Its a Raphsody plant and around the base of the plant the
soil has this fine furry white mold type stuff appearing. Also the
leaves are developing a small brown patch/spot at the end of each tip
of the leaf which eventually makes the leaf wilt and die. What am I
doing wrong? Thank you

It's botrytis but so early it's strange but perhaps your plant got too
wet. This occur in very damp conditions. I would take that plant away
from the other and destroy it and make sure the others don't get so
wet. There is no organic cure sadly. Are they in your garden or in pots?
They're in big pots on a big kitchen window sill that gets the sun in the morning but not the afternoon. I have other plants on there like a mini cucumber, is it airbourne? can it spread? How often should I be watering the strawberry plants? Should I let the soil dry before watering again. Thanks for your expertise.
Scoob