GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mysterious gree stuff (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/145346-mysterious-gree-stuff.html)

[email protected] 23-05-2006 11:54 AM

Mysterious gree stuff

Please moderate your language before answering this - remember children
may read your reply.

For several years (at about this time) pieces of what looks like slimey
seaweed (several inches square) have appeared on pathways in my
garden. Any ideas ?

dave or stella @ stejonda 23-05-2006 12:13 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

In message . com,
writes
Please moderate your language before answering this - remember children
may read your reply.

For several years (at about this time) pieces of what looks like slimey
seaweed (several inches square) have appeared on pathways in my
garden. Any ideas ?

is it seaweed? are you near a beach with seaweed? birds?
is it attached to the path?

dave or stella @ stejonda

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 23-05-2006 12:26 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

wrote in message
ups.com...
Please moderate your language before answering this - remember children
may read your reply.

For several years (at about this time) pieces of what looks like slimey
seaweed (several inches square) have appeared on pathways in my
garden. Any ideas ?

Probably a lichen. It may have detached from an adjoining wall or roof.
Spend a few seconds looking he-)
http://www.lichen.com/portraits.html

[email protected] 23-05-2006 12:49 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

Definitely not seaweed - we're 30 miles from the sea unless global
warming has arrived with a vengance over the last few days. I don't
know why, but I feel it's something to do with insects hatching!

[email protected] 23-05-2006 12:51 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

Well it refuses to answer any questions so I'll keep that one in the
back of my mind.

[email protected] 23-05-2006 12:53 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

I've had a quick look, but I can't see it being a lichen. When I say it
is on the path, I should have said that is on the soil immediately
adjacent to a brick path.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 23-05-2006 01:00 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had a quick look, but I can't see it being a lichen. When I say it
is on the path, I should have said that is on the soil immediately
adjacent to a brick path.

It's just possible that it is some form of polyacrylamide gel. That's the
powder stuff you put in plant troughs and hanging baskets to retain water.
It looks like a jelly and is usually clear.

[email protected] 23-05-2006 01:12 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

Nope, we don't use it and there are always several pieces of this stuff
at different points along the path. I think that something has over
wintered under the bricks and has recently emerged and left this green
"stuff" behind it.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 23-05-2006 01:22 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

wrote in message
oups.com...
Nope, we don't use it and there are always several pieces of this stuff
at different points along the path. I think that something has over
wintered under the bricks and has recently emerged and left this green
"stuff" behind it.

Bobby was right definitely a Politician.

[email protected] 23-05-2006 01:22 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

wrote:
Please moderate your language before answering this - remember children
may read your reply.

For several years (at about this time) pieces of what looks like slimey
seaweed (several inches square) have appeared on pathways in my
garden. Any ideas ?

Pixie poo or goblin wee wees?

Des

K 23-05-2006 01:26 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

writes
Nope, we don't use it and there are always several pieces of this stuff
at different points along the path. I think that something has over
wintered under the bricks and has recently emerged and left this green
"stuff" behind it.

Algae? Slime mould?
--
Kay

[email protected] 23-05-2006 01:27 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

How big are pixies?

Philippe Gautier 23-05-2006 01:28 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Please moderate your language before answering this - remember children
may read your reply.

For several years (at about this time) pieces of what looks like slimey
seaweed (several inches square) have appeared on pathways in my
garden. Any ideas ?

Probably a lichen. It may have detached from an adjoining wall or roof.
Spend a few seconds looking he-)
http://www.lichen.com/portraits.html

What a beautiful site: love the gallery!

There are also plenty of "slimy" fungi. If you google for "Jelly
fungus", You'll see plenty of example.

Philippe

[email protected] 23-05-2006 01:47 PM

Mysterious gree stuff

Spot on!

First photo on a google image search for "jelly fungus". Unfortunately
there was no information, not even its name.