Old 23-05-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mysterious gree stuff

Please moderate your language before answering this - remember children
may read your reply.

For several years (at about this time) pieces of what looks like slimey
seaweed (several inches square) have appeared on pathways in my
garden. Any ideas ?

Old 23-05-2006, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
ups.com...
Please moderate your language before answering this - remember children
may read your reply.

For several years (at about this time) pieces of what looks like slimey
seaweed (several inches square) have appeared on pathways in my
garden. Any ideas ?

Probably a lichen. It may have detached from an adjoining wall or roof.
Spend a few seconds looking he-)
http://www.lichen.com/portraits.html

Old 23-05-2006, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Definitely not seaweed - we're 30 miles from the sea unless global
warming has arrived with a vengance over the last few days. I don't
know why, but I feel it's something to do with insects hatching!

Old 23-05-2006, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well it refuses to answer any questions so I'll keep that one in the
back of my mind.

Old 23-05-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've had a quick look, but I can't see it being a lichen. When I say it
is on the path, I should have said that is on the soil immediately
adjacent to a brick path.

Old 23-05-2006, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had a quick look, but I can't see it being a lichen. When I say it
is on the path, I should have said that is on the soil immediately
adjacent to a brick path.

It's just possible that it is some form of polyacrylamide gel. That's the
powder stuff you put in plant troughs and hanging baskets to retain water.
It looks like a jelly and is usually clear.

Old 23-05-2006, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nope, we don't use it and there are always several pieces of this stuff
at different points along the path. I think that something has over
wintered under the bricks and has recently emerged and left this green
"stuff" behind it.

Old 23-05-2006, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Nope, we don't use it and there are always several pieces of this stuff
at different points along the path. I think that something has over
wintered under the bricks and has recently emerged and left this green
"stuff" behind it.

Bobby was right definitely a Politician.

Old 23-05-2006, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

How big are pixies?

Old 23-05-2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Philippe Gautier

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Please moderate your language before answering this - remember children
may read your reply.

For several years (at about this time) pieces of what looks like slimey
seaweed (several inches square) have appeared on pathways in my
garden. Any ideas ?

Probably a lichen. It may have detached from an adjoining wall or roof.
Spend a few seconds looking he-)
http://www.lichen.com/portraits.html

What a beautiful site: love the gallery!

There are also plenty of "slimy" fungi. If you google for "Jelly
fungus", You'll see plenty of example.

Philippe
Old 23-05-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spot on!

First photo on a google image search for "jelly fungus". Unfortunately
there was no information, not even its name.