GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Harvesting chilli's (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/145430-harvesting-chillis.html)

haphazard 24-05-2006 11:48 PM

Harvesting chilli's

Evening all

Had my first go at growing chilli's this year. Whats the best indication
that they are 'ripe' and ready for picking?.
The varieties I have are 'Jalapeno', Bird Eye' and 'Hot Pixie' Will they go
red when ripe? Unfortunatly the cat dug out all the name tags after I sowed
them, so now I have no idea which are which!
Cheers

echinosum 25-05-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haphazard
Evening all

Had my first go at growing chilli's this year. Whats the best indication
that they are 'ripe' and ready for picking?.
The varieties I have are 'Jalapeno', Bird Eye' and 'Hot Pixie' Will they go
red when ripe? Unfortunatly the cat dug out all the name tags after I sowed
them, so now I have no idea which are which!
Cheers

Taste them. Try them at different stages of ripeness. You know what chillis in the shops look like? All chillis go red in the end, or a near approximation thereto, but they are often picked green or yellow or orange or purple (colours available in different varieties) for preference in taste or appearance.

fourmations 25-05-2006 03:18 PM

Harvesting chilli's

snip

im not so experienced but i believe
that you should pick them green,
they will redden but it takes time and they
are no better when red. (aprt from looks)

rgds

4

K 25-05-2006 05:13 PM

Harvesting chilli's

haphazard writes
Evening all

Had my first go at growing chilli's this year. Whats the best indication
that they are 'ripe' and ready for picking?.
The varieties I have are 'Jalapeno', Bird Eye' and 'Hot Pixie' Will they go
red when ripe?

Yes.
Have heard they get hotter the longer they stay on the plant. I usually
leave mine on till they're ready to fall off.
--
Kay

James Fidell 26-05-2006 10:55 AM

Harvesting chilli's

fourmations wrote:
snip

im not so experienced but i believe
that you should pick them green,
they will redden but it takes time and they
are no better when red. (aprt from looks)

I thought they became hotter as they ripened.
Is that wrong?

james