Old 25-05-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default What is this?

Currently working in Radcliffe - my colleague came back with this
picture showing these huge leaves and rubbarb stems. Lots of people say
that they know what it is but cannot come up with a name. I've
absolutely no idea - and I've searched. I'm not good with riverside/bog
plants - these are in deep shade and very soggy soil. TIA

http://cjoint.com/?fzpLHmelu7

Old 25-05-2006, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam

La Puce wrote:
Currently working in Radcliffe - my colleague came back with this
picture showing these huge leaves and rubbarb stems. Lots of people say
that they know what it is but cannot come up with a name. I've
absolutely no idea - and I've searched. I'm not good with riverside/bog
plants - these are in deep shade and very soggy soil. TIA

http://cjoint.com/?fzpLHmelu7

Sorry, it's all double-Dutch to me
Old 26-05-2006, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joseph

"La Puce" wrote in message...
Currently working in Radcliffe - my colleague came back with this
picture showing these huge leaves and rubbarb stems. Lots of people say
that they know what it is but cannot come up with a name. I've
absolutely no idea - and I've searched. I'm not good with riverside/bog
plants - these are in deep shade and very soggy soil. TIA

You might want to see this website (warning! - graphic photos):
http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/plants/hogweed.html

Old 26-05-2006, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gentlegreen

"Joseph" wrote in message
"La Puce" wrote in message...
Currently working in Radcliffe - my colleague came back with this
picture showing these huge leaves and rubbarb stems. Lots of people say
that they know what it is but cannot come up with a name. I've
absolutely no idea - and I've searched. I'm not good with riverside/bog
plants - these are in deep shade and very soggy soil. TIA

You might want to see this website (warning! - graphic photos):
http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/plants/hogweed.html

I actually harvested and germinated some seeds one year (there's a small
colony on the way home) ... but I eventually chickened out and planted an
angelica instead.

But the giant hogweed has by far the sexiest umbels IMHO - like champagne
glasses :-)

..

Old 26-05-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

gentlegreen wrote:
I actually harvested and germinated some seeds one year (there's a small
colony on the way home) ... but I eventually chickened out and planted an
angelica instead.

I'm so so glad my colleagues didn't try to pick some up. They know how
much I love umbels flowers too ... Here's one flower from another
picture they took.

http://cjoint.com/?fArpMftvJE

But the giant hogweed has by far the sexiest umbels IMHO - like champagne
glasses :-)

Funny how the things one really wish to have are usually very hard or
dangerous to get )