Old 25-05-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default What is this?

Currently working in Radcliffe - my colleague came back with this
picture showing these huge leaves and rubbarb stems. Lots of people say
that they know what it is but cannot come up with a name. I've
absolutely no idea - and I've searched. I'm not good with riverside/bog
plants - these are in deep shade and very soggy soil. TIA

http://cjoint.com/?fzpLHmelu7

Old 25-05-2006, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Martin wrote:
"Ce lien n'est pas ou n'est plus disponible."

Thanks Martin. Here again.

http://cjoint.com/?fzp5DfW6Xy

Old 25-05-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gunnera manicata.

Old 25-05-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:
"Ce lien n'est pas ou n'est plus disponible."

Thanks Martin. Here again.

http://cjoint.com/?fzp5DfW6Xy

In various languages:~)
Heracleum sphondylium - Berenklauw | Berce commune | Hogweed |
Wiesen-Bärenklau

Be careful as it can cause skin irritation
Jenny

Old 25-05-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:
"Ce lien n'est pas ou n'est plus disponible."

Thanks Martin. Here again.

http://cjoint.com/?fzp5DfW6Xy

In various languages:~)
Heracleum sphondylium - Berenklauw | Berce commune | Hogweed |
Wiesen-Bärenklau

nearly :-)
H. mantegazzianum or giant hogweed

Be careful as it can cause skin irritation

And will take over yer riverbank. It is huge and invasive.
here is what is said on a belgian site:
Reuzenbereklauw, Heracleum mantegazzianum: een gevaarlijke plant!
which means keep the livestock and women indoors.

Jenny

Old 25-05-2006, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gentlegreen

wrote in message
ups.com...

JennyC wrote:
"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:
"Ce lien n'est pas ou n'est plus disponible."

Thanks Martin. Here again.

http://cjoint.com/?fzp5DfW6Xy

In various languages:~)
Heracleum sphondylium - Berenklauw | Berce commune | Hogweed |
Wiesen-Bärenklau

nearly :-)
H. mantegazzianum or giant hogweed

Be careful as it can cause skin irritation

And will take over yer riverbank. It is huge and invasive.
here is what is said on a belgian site:
Reuzenbereklauw, Heracleum mantegazzianum: een gevaarlijke plant!
which means keep the livestock and women indoors.

I'd never noticed those lovely red stems before ...

.... may be an interesting mutation :-)

Old 25-05-2006, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

writes

JennyC wrote:
"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:
"Ce lien n'est pas ou n'est plus disponible."

Thanks Martin. Here again.

http://cjoint.com/?fzp5DfW6Xy

In various languages:~)
Heracleum sphondylium - Berenklauw | Berce commune | Hogweed |
Wiesen-Bärenklau

nearly :-)
H. mantegazzianum or giant hogweed

Be careful as it can cause skin irritation

And will take over yer riverbank. It is huge and invasive.
here is what is said on a belgian site:
Reuzenbereklauw, Heracleum mantegazzianum: een gevaarlijke plant!
which means keep the livestock and women indoors.

Interesting - very different leaf from the other hogweed, isn't it? Much
shinier.
--
Kay
Old 25-05-2006, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam

La Puce wrote:
Currently working in Radcliffe - my colleague came back with this
picture showing these huge leaves and rubbarb stems. Lots of people say
that they know what it is but cannot come up with a name. I've
absolutely no idea - and I've searched. I'm not good with riverside/bog
plants - these are in deep shade and very soggy soil. TIA

http://cjoint.com/?fzpLHmelu7

Sorry, it's all double-Dutch to me
Old 25-05-2006, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

K wrote:
In various languages:~)
Heracleum sphondylium - Berenklauw | Berce commune | Hogweed |
Wiesen-Bärenklau

nearly :-)
H. mantegazzianum or giant hogweed
Be careful as it can cause skin irritation

And will take over yer riverbank. It is huge and invasive.
here is what is said on a belgian site:
Reuzenbereklauw, Heracleum mantegazzianum: een gevaarlijke plant!
which means keep the livestock and women indoors.

Interesting - very different leaf from the other hogweed, isn't it? Much
shinier.

Thank you everyone. You're just brilliant! Not sure if we should keep
it there - it is quite likely it will decide to stay there even if
we're trying to get rid of it. Beautiful stem indeed, but might not be
what the landscape designer have in mind. I'll perhaps dig one out,
carefully mind, and see what it does in a pot. Strange stems for a
hogweed though ...

Old 25-05-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"K" wrote in message
writes

JennyC wrote:
"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:
"Ce lien n'est pas ou n'est plus disponible."

Thanks Martin. Here again.

http://cjoint.com/?fzp5DfW6Xy

In various languages:~)
Heracleum sphondylium - Berenklauw | Berce commune | Hogweed |
Wiesen-Bärenklau

nearly :-)
H. mantegazzianum or giant hogweed

Be careful as it can cause skin irritation

And will take over yer riverbank. It is huge and invasive.
here is what is said on a belgian site:
Reuzenbereklauw, Heracleum mantegazzianum: een gevaarlijke plant!
which means keep the livestock and women indoors.

Interesting - very different leaf from the other hogweed, isn't it? Much
shinier.
--
Kay

Call it dedication but I have just inspected, by torchlight, one of the two
Heracleums growing here. I had never noticed that some of the stems are
almost completely red.
The rest of the stems are a blotchy red with paler bits. The leaf is the
right shape etc . The picture shows the plant in bright sunlight which might
account for the brighter/shinier look.
You are welcome to a cutting:-)

Old 25-05-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

Interesting - very different leaf from the other hogweed, isn't it? Much
shinier.
--

Call it dedication but I have just inspected, by torchlight, one of the two
Heracleums growing here. I had never noticed that some of the stems are
almost completely red.
The rest of the stems are a blotchy red with paler bits. The leaf is the
right shape etc . The picture shows the plant in bright sunlight which might
account for the brighter/shinier look.
You are welcome to a cutting:-)

I'm very tempted! I've only ever seen it once - a wonderful stately
plant, but I don't think I have space for it.

--
Kay
Old 25-05-2006, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

Interesting - very different leaf from the other hogweed, isn't it? Much
shinier.
--

Call it dedication but I have just inspected, by torchlight, one of the
two
Heracleums growing here. I had never noticed that some of the stems are
almost completely red.
The rest of the stems are a blotchy red with paler bits. The leaf is the
right shape etc . The picture shows the plant in bright sunlight which
might
account for the brighter/shinier look.
You are welcome to a cutting:-)

I'm very tempted! I've only ever seen it once - a wonderful stately plant,
but I don't think I have space for it.

--
Kay

Do not let Sacha know of your desires:-)
It's a very politically incorrect plant although I note a few of the Stately
homes still grow it as a specimen plant.
Incidentally the red stem is produced by the hairy nodules on top of the
green stem. I have been told by a reliable source that the toxic/ irritant
sap thingy only applies at a certain time of year but I do not know when.
Off to wash my hands.

Old 26-05-2006, 05:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

K wrote:
[...]

It will get to be 8ft tall!
Jenny

Old 26-05-2006, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

Interesting - very different leaf from the other hogweed, isn't it? Much
shinier.
--

Call it dedication but I have just inspected, by torchlight, one of the
two
Heracleums growing here. I had never noticed that some of the stems are
almost completely red.
The rest of the stems are a blotchy red with paler bits. The leaf is the
right shape etc . The picture shows the plant in bright sunlight which
might
account for the brighter/shinier look.
You are welcome to a cutting:-)

I'm very tempted! I've only ever seen it once - a wonderful stately plant,
but I don't think I have space for it.
Kay

Yes you do :~)
Right down the bottom of the garden. It does not mind shade..........
Jenny

Old 26-05-2006, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

[...]

The irritant only works when exposed to sunlight (I think it needs UV
light).
So nothing happens in dull weather but it causes blisters in the sun.
A classic "injury" is a ring of blisters around yer mouth if you use it
as a blow pipe (when aged 11 or so I hasten to add).

It is a very impressive plant but does get invasive sometimes in
conservation areas.
In a garden, it is probably controllable and could be a conversation
piece?