Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hazchem

Default vegetables not needing much water

There is a hosepipe ban in my area, South London. I do not want to be
carrying lots of water in watering cans. Can I please get some advice
on which vegetables need the least amount of watering.

I have an allotment, half a plot. I have 3 apples trees, half a dozen
grape vines and a thornless blackberry. I have a raised bed where I am
growing the few vegetables that I need, and I also have a few flowers.
I was quite happy with this, and I left half of my plot grass. I keep
my plot tidy, and think of the grass as my meadow area, allowing
interesting wild plants to remain. Recently I got a letter saying that
I have to cultivate my plot or it will be taken away from me and given
to someone else. So I need to grow more veg.

This means that I will have to use much more water than I did before. I
have thought about trying to explain this to the people who run the
allotment site, but they don't seem to be very intelligent. They seem
to think a plot has to be all cabbages, onions, carrots etc.

I wouldn't mind, but the plots on all 3 sides of me are taken by people
who don't know what they are doing and when they realize how much work
is involved they give up and it gets covered with weeds. Either that or
people who just plant potatoes for 1 year and then go. I think they
should be glad to have someone like me instead of complaining.

I have been told that there have been complaints about my plot, which I
don't believe because everyone who talks to me about it admires it. I
have also been told that there is a waiting list and that people on the
waiting list have asked why can't they have my plot. Obviously, someone
will want a plot where they would have 3 apple trees and several grape
vines.

Andrew