GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What should Greenhouse temperature be? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/145847-what-should-greenhouse-temperature.html)

Dave Roberts 03-06-2006 12:13 AM

What should Greenhouse temperature be?

Hi!
I have just got my first Greenhouse and have a few tomato plants.
I understand that lots of ventilation is necessary but I am uncertain
as to what tmperature , on average, I should try to achieve or what
range is about right.
Would appreciate advice on this.
Dave

david taylor 08-06-2006 09:59 AM

What should Greenhouse temperature be?

For tomatoes 70-75deg.F not less than 50 overnight.
Humidity will be about right mid July -September. June-July spray to ensure
pollination.
Sun not too much of a problem.
Indoor cucumbers like it warmer, 80F more humid and must be screened from
sun. One plant is enough- for many years I grew one in the shade trained
behind a row of tomatoes.
I grew okra sucessfully in a conservatory in Cheshire, but had poor luck in
Devon-I think because it could not tolerate overnight temperatures below
60F.-in Cheshire it picked up heat from the house wall overnight.
The RHS encyclopedia on Gardening has a lot of data on plant tolerances,
germination temperatures etc. Get a friend/child/relative to buy for
Christmas

--
Dave Roberts