Old 03-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire coast, UK
Default What should Greenhouse temperature be?

Hi!
I have just got my first Greenhouse and have a few tomato plants.
I understand that lots of ventilation is necessary but I am uncertain
as to what tmperature , on average, I should try to achieve or what
range is about right.
Would appreciate advice on this.
Dave
__________________
Dave
Old 08-06-2006, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

For tomatoes 70-75deg.F not less than 50 overnight.
Humidity will be about right mid July -September. June-July spray to ensure
pollination.
Sun not too much of a problem.
Indoor cucumbers like it warmer, 80F more humid and must be screened from
sun. One plant is enough- for many years I grew one in the shade trained
behind a row of tomatoes.
I grew okra sucessfully in a conservatory in Cheshire, but had poor luck in
Devon-I think because it could not tolerate overnight temperatures below
60F.-in Cheshire it picked up heat from the house wall overnight.
The RHS encyclopedia on Gardening has a lot of data on plant tolerances,
germination temperatures etc. Get a friend/child/relative to buy for
Christmas
news

--
Dave Roberts