Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered User

Default Transplacing flowers?

Hi everyone,

Firstly I shoud say that I don't really know much about gardening. My backyard is pretty much a collection of gravel paths and woodchips, with some (probably wild) flowers growing out of certain patches. It's been like that since I moved in 12 years ago and I tend to generally let nature take it's course, with my main intervention being clipping the hedges before they grow too much. The flowers always appear every year as they should.

Anyway my question is this- I woud like to have some poppies which grow out of the gravel to grow in a more soil rich area about 6 feet away. My cat died a few days ago and I buried her in one of the few bits of deep soil I have in my backyard area, which is about 6 feet away from the poppies that grow out of the gravel patch. I really wanted to bury her as close to the poppies as possible , as she was fond of that area, but the soil there is just too thin. I tried to find poppy bulbs today but apparently right now is the wrong time for bulbs, and I'm not even sure if places actually sell poppies. So, would it be possible somehow to get some poppies growing on my cats grave just by using the poppies that are a mere 6 feet away? I did break a few poppies off by the stem and plant them on the grave but I doubt if they will take root.

I know I could probably plant any flowers on her grave, but to me it's the symbolism that matters. I would like her to be closer to an area she roamed in when she was alive. Her grave looks so barren now and having it bloom with such nearby flowers would certainly lessen the grief of her passing to me.

If poppies aren't feasible then bluebells or butercups, which also grow nearby, would do nicely too.

Appreciate any help!