Old 05-06-2006, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson

Default Snails, where art thou?

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Emrys asked Susie of Arran whether she had tried a night hunt for
snails eating her rhubarb. No need; snail populations and activity are
minimal in Scotland. On the Scottish mainland (much colder than here),
I very rarely saw one, and never bigger than my little finger nail. Here
on Arran where it's mild, there are a few more, the biggest the size of
my thumbnail, with thin, striped pastel shells. Maybe I spot one of
these small pretty snails once or twice in a month.

My relatives gardens around London and the Home Counties have hundreds
of huge rapacious grey/brown snails the size of a walnut.

The question for urglers is; where does the UK's Big Rapacious Snail
zone start and finish? With global warming, are they advancing
northwards?

Wakefield west yorks

When we moved here, we had just the smaller stipey snails and slugs slugs
slugs. Within a few years we had the big brown jobs. which I suspect came
via donated plants from the father-in-law from north London. I've noticed
that they are always seem more abundant after a mild winter. Last winter
had extensive cold spells here, and the big brown snail population seems
to be way down. I'm also suffering less slug damage.