GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gardeners World (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/14601-gardeners-world.html)

Trevor Appleton 11-04-2003 09:20 PM

Gardeners World

can't get on the BBC Gardeners Worlds Monty Don Website but BBC please Oh
please bring back the PROPER theme music!!!

---

Sacha 11-04-2003 10:32 PM

Gardeners World

in article , Trevor Appleton at
wrote on 11/4/03 9:11 pm:

can't get on the BBC Gardeners Worlds Monty Don Website but BBC please Oh
please bring back the PROPER theme music!!!

How funny! We both hated the 'new' and tinkered with music. Liked the
presentation and the programme, though. We also thought MD was making a
very clear point at the beginning when he said something to the effect that
this was to be about real gardening and not 'instant fixes'. I'm *sure*
'they' read this group! ;-))
--
Sacha

Adam Davis 11-04-2003 10:56 PM

Gardeners World

The new "remixed" music is pretty naff, I do agree.

The rest of the programme was pretty good and it will be very interesting to
see how the garden develops over time.

Fenny 11-04-2003 10:56 PM

Gardeners World

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard Sacha say...
can't get on the BBC Gardeners Worlds Monty Don Website but BBC please Oh
please bring back the PROPER theme music!!!

How funny! We both hated the 'new' and tinkered with music.

You weren't the only ones.
--
Fenny
Thought for the Day...

JennyC 12-04-2003 07:08 AM

Gardeners World

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in
message ...
can't get on the BBC Gardeners Worlds Monty Don Website but BBC

please Oh
please bring back the PROPER theme music!!!

I don't care about the music.......I was just Soooooooo glad that the
program was a huge improvement on the old version :~))

Monty Don looks like a real gardener, he talks like a real gardener
and does real garden things - none of that 'instant landscaping in one
weekend" Loved it when he said "this hedge will be wonderful in5
years time" :~))

Looks as if I can start to watch is again ..........
Jenny

Sacha 12-04-2003 07:08 AM

Gardeners World

in article , JennyC at
wrote on 12/4/03 6:45 am:

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in
message ...
can't get on the BBC Gardeners Worlds Monty Don Website but BBC

please Oh
please bring back the PROPER theme music!!!

I don't care about the music.......I was just Soooooooo glad that the
program was a huge improvement on the old version :~))

Monty Don looks like a real gardener, he talks like a real gardener
and does real garden things - none of that 'instant landscaping in one
weekend" Loved it when he said "this hedge will be wonderful in5
years time" :~))

Looks as if I can start to watch is again ..........
Jenny

I'd like to suggest that we all write to the Beeb saying how much better the
new format is - those who do feel that, of course. ;-) Goodness knows we're
pretty sharp when we dont like something, so it seems only fair.......
Of course, they may pick that up from here. ;-)
--
Sacha

Alan Gould 12-04-2003 07:20 AM

Gardeners World

In article , JennyC
writes
Monty Don looks like a real gardener, he talks like a real gardener
and does real garden things - none of that 'instant landscaping in one
weekend" Loved it when he said "this hedge will be wonderful in5
years time" :~))

And when he said "this part will be the vegetable garden"
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Simon Caldow 12-04-2003 12:44 PM

Gardeners World

I did manage to get to the site and have expressd my distaste at their
messing about with our classic original. I just hope it has some good
effect. What next? The Archers?

Pam Moore 12-04-2003 05:56 PM

Gardeners World

The new series of G.W. got off to a good start and I think Monty Don
will be better than A.T. More practical, less gimmicky.

What a wonderful canvas they have in that garden!

I can tolerate the music as long as the content is PROPER GARDENING.
Well done the Beeb. Keep it up.

Pam in Bristol
pamdotmooreatvirgindotnet

Natalie 12-04-2003 05:56 PM

Gardeners World

I don't care about the music.......I was just Soooooooo glad that the
program was a huge improvement on the old version :~))

Monty Don looks like a real gardener, he talks like a real gardener
and does real garden things - none of that 'instant landscaping in one
weekend" Loved it when he said "this hedge will be wonderful in5
years time" :~))

Looks as if I can start to watch is again ..........

If, like me, you missed the programme on Friday night it is being repeated
on Sundays 11-11.30am BBC 2.

Natalie

mick 12-04-2003 09:20 PM

Gardeners World

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
The new series of G.W. got off to a good start and I think Monty Don
will be better than A.T. More practical, less gimmicky.

I dont think the problem with Gardeners World was ever Alan Titchmarsh.
And I dont think Monty Don is going to improve things unless of course he
removes the hangers on , and reserve judgement for the moment. I didnt see
anything last night to make me think things had improved.

The real problem with gardeners World is still there - too many fingers in
the soil. Too many band wagon gardeners, not naming names but "the team".
Gardening is not a team game. One has ones garden and it is ones personal
and total domain. It aint a "team effort".
And I can understand why AT gave up the programme when having to work with
that Team and in HIS Garden!

I note the garden is for the first time not that of the presenter!??

Too many cooks and all that!

Sacha 12-04-2003 11:08 PM

Gardeners World

in article , mick at
wrote on 12/4/03 9:16 pm:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

Gardening is not a team effort? Well. I hope all those people who run
Wisley, Kew, Rosemoor know that. How did Percy Thrower and Geoff Hamilton
miss that? Indeed, I must remember to talk sternly to my husband
tomorrow.......
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Gill Hall 13-04-2003 12:44 AM

Gardeners World

I note the garden is for the first time not that of the presenter!??

I think I read somewhere - in the Radio Times, perhaps? that MD's garden was
considered for the programme but that he decided to protect his family's
privacy by not using it.

We breathed a huge sigh of relief - MD has been my favourite gardening
presenter for a long time - so practical and down to earth. Thank heavens for
no gimmicky camera work, a long term attitude to gardening (and no Ivan
Hicks!).

Gill Hall

mandy thomas 13-04-2003 12:56 AM

Gardeners World

It just amazes me that people want to write messages expressing approval or
otherwise for a TV programme.

I like orange but my partner prefers lemon.

I like tea, you may prefer coffee.

Red used to be my mum's fave colour, but I prefer blue.

I've always preferred Coronation St over Eastenders.

I preferred the old signature tune on Gardeners World to that new one.

Be honest, just how interesting is any of this to you?

Does anyone really care that much?

m.

Gill Hall 13-04-2003 01:20 AM

Gardeners World

It just amazes me that people want to write messages expressing approval or
otherwise for a TV programme.

Gardeners World is no mere TV programme. It's an institution of gardening life!
Some took our first faltering gardening steps at its knee, if you follow my
mixed metaphor.

Gill Hall

kdupar 13-04-2003 06:08 AM

Gardeners World

If, like me, you missed the programme on Friday night it is being
repeated
on Sundays 11-11.30am BBC 2.

Natalie

Unless you live in Scotland, where golf replaced the Beechgrove Garden
on Thursday, and the Beechgrove
was broadcast in the Gardeners' World slot on Friday, and GW is now
scheduled for12 noon on Sunday. I know golf (not to mention gardening)
is a 'religion' to some people, but others of us are in church at noon
on Sunday. (Will have to remember to set the video.)

Kristina
black-isle.info/orchard

mick 13-04-2003 06:56 AM

Gardeners World

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , mick at
wrote on 12/4/03 9:16 pm:

[...]

And my grandfather was a Head Gardener for a very large garden ( when such
things were not just limited to Kew etc).
The difference my love is, there is only one person in charge. Only one Head
Gardener. And that remains the case even today.
Others are simply labourers.
In GW there are too many chiefs.

I note ( I think it was in GW) that one of the features was a Garden in
Cornwall. They asked the owner how he had succeeded in having such a unique
garrden and he said it was becuase in 100 years they had only had three Head
Gardeners controlling the garden and so there had been continuity of ideas.
Supports my point.
GW has too many chiefs with too many different ideas.

JennyC 13-04-2003 08:08 AM

Gardeners World

"Gill Hall" wrote
snip
We breathed a huge sigh of relief - MD has been my favourite

gardening
presenter for a long time - so practical and down to earth. Thank

heavens for
no gimmicky camera work, a long term attitude to gardening (and no

Ivan
Hicks!).
Gill Hall

I love Ivan Hicks !!
Maybe he could have his own program for us fans :~)
Jenny

JennyC 13-04-2003 08:08 AM

Gardeners World

"mandy thomas" wrote
It just amazes me that people want to write messages expressing

approval or
otherwise for a TV programme.

Well we are gardeners............
Plus the BBC read this group, so we like to tell them our opinions :~)
Jenny

The Devil's Advocate 13-04-2003 09:08 AM

Gardeners World

At least it sounds like we have a GARDENER back on the show, I will start
watching again to see if it is as good as people say

The Devil's Advocate I only set the stage, you pull your own strings

Trevor Appleton wrote:
: can't get on the BBC Gardeners Worlds Monty Don Website but BBC
: please Oh please bring back the PROPER theme music!!!
:
:
: ---
: Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).
:
:
:
:
: http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
: -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Natalie 13-04-2003 11:44 AM

Gardeners World

If, like me, you missed the programme on Friday night it is being repeated
on Sundays 11-11.30am BBC 2.

Well I've just watched the repeat and found it very refreshing :-)

I even didn't mind the music too much ;-)

I'll definitely be a regular again, remembering to record it if I'm out
again!

The tip on growing in compost bags was rather good. I think I'll grow the
ones at school like that rather than in the old plastic bins. As I haven't
got round to putting holes in the bins yet maybe I could use them for
collecting rainwater...assuming we will get some rain!

Natalie

Sacha 13-04-2003 02:32 PM

Gardeners World

in article , mandy thomas at
wrote on 13/4/03 12:53 am:

It just amazes me that people want to write messages expressing approval or
otherwise for a TV programme.

I like orange but my partner prefers lemon.

I like tea, you may prefer coffee.

Red used to be my mum's fave colour, but I prefer blue.

I've always preferred Coronation St over Eastenders.

I preferred the old signature tune on Gardeners World to that new one.

Be honest, just how interesting is any of this to you?

Does anyone really care that much?

Yup. Perhaps you'd care to Google back through the archives to see the
remarks some of the TV gardening programmes have received on here. That's
the reason for my suggestion. If we fling brickbats it's only fair to hand
out bouquets.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 13-04-2003 02:32 PM

Gardeners World

in article , mick at
wrote on 13/4/03 6:49 am:

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , mick at
wrote on 12/4/03 9:16 pm:

[...]

But for a gardening programme, it could be argued that is a necessity.
There isn't only 'one way' of gardening. But I think the beginning of the
new series made it clear that Monty Don is the one 'in charge' if one thinks
that so important.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Bazza 13-04-2003 06:20 PM

Gardeners World

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 06:49:33 +0100, "mick"
wibbled:

The difference my love is,

I'm sure if you try really hard you could get even more patronising.

there is only one person in charge.

That's not the way we work in our garden. Seems to me that when it
comes to gardening, me and my partner are just that, a partnership.

Barry Smith bazzas at btinternet.com
'It's not easy ... building Xanadu in the backstreets of Weatherfield.'

Ophelia 13-04-2003 06:33 PM

Gardeners World

"Bazza" wrote in message news

That's not the way we work in our garden. Seems to me that when it
comes to gardening, me and my partner are just that, a partnership.

Exactly the same he)

Ophelia

mick 13-04-2003 08:08 PM

Gardeners World

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , mick at
wrote on 13/4/03 6:49 am:

But for a gardening programme, it could be argued that is a necessity.
There isn't only 'one way' of gardening. But I think the beginning of the
new series made it clear that Monty Don is the one 'in charge' if one

thinks
that so important.

I'll wait and see.
Not that I think R de T and CB are real gardeners anyway. All the more
reasone why they really shouldnt be there.

mick 13-04-2003 08:08 PM

Gardeners World

"Bazza" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 06:49:33 +0100, "mick"
wibbled:

The difference my love is,

I'm sure if you try really hard you could get even more patronising.

Yah , your right, I shouldnt have said it that way - but tis the way I
speak.
I appologise for the turn of phrase.

mick 13-04-2003 08:08 PM

Gardeners World

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Bazza" wrote in message news

That's not the way we work in our garden. Seems to me that when it
comes to gardening, me and my partner are just that, a partnership.

You are missing the point. There is a difference between a "partnership" and
the idea of a "team"

The former implies an equal sharing between people who have agreed to work
together. They all agree on who will be a mamber of the partnership. Its a
mutual arrangement.
A "team" is put together by some leader and the members are forced to work
together at professional level . They have no choice in who is part of the
team.

Barry & Iris McCanna 13-04-2003 10:44 PM

Gardeners World

"mick" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , mick at
wrote on 13/4/03 6:49 am:

But for a gardening programme, it could be argued that is a

necessity.
There isn't only 'one way' of gardening. But I think the beginning

of the
new series made it clear that Monty Don is the one 'in charge' if

one
thinks
that so important.

I'll wait and see.
Not that I think R de T and CB are real gardeners anyway. All the

more
reasone why they really shouldnt be there.

Monty Don is excellent - loves what he is doing and knows what he is
doing. However, I am bemused by your claim that Chris Beardshaw is
not a "real gardener."
If Monty Don hadn't taken the job, Chris would have been first-class.
He also knows and loves the job.

Iris McCanna

Fenny 13-04-2003 11:20 PM

Gardeners World

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard Gill Hall say...
It just amazes me that people want to write messages expressing approval or
otherwise for a TV programme.

Gardeners World is no mere TV programme. It's an institution of gardening life!
Some took our first faltering gardening steps at its knee, if you follow my
mixed metaphor.

The trailers for the new series of GW use the old theme music and
everyone out in their gardens recognises it. Why then change it to
something people don't recognise. One of the reasons for theme music is
that when you;re out in the kitchen between progs and the kettle is
boiling, you know what you are listening for.
--
Fenny
All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.

mick 14-04-2003 07:20 AM

Gardeners World

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message

"mick" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , mick at
wrote on 13/4/03 6:49 am:

Monty Don is excellent - loves what he is doing and knows what he is
doing. However, I am bemused by your claim that Chris Beardshaw is
not a "real gardener."
If Monty Don hadn't taken the job, Chris would have been first-class.
He also knows and loves the job.

Well if I a honest, Beardshaw looses points not just on being a "Garden
Designer" not a gardener and on his mannerisms ( he flays his arms around
too much and it is accentuated on TV) . Monty Don has a pleasant manner and
thats as much as one can ask of the dumbed down BBC these days.

But I suppose I could also argue that GW should be looking for new blood
altogether - and preferably looking within the gardening domain , not at the
"luvvies"

Monty Don has a degree in some subject or other ( Business from the LSE I
think) and took up gardening as a business venture.
He certainly didnt start out as a gardener and in that respect I doubt if he
knows much more than I do - and thats saying something!

As for garden designers - then yes I definately do know as much as they do!

Drakanthus 14-04-2003 11:08 AM

Gardeners World

I'll wait and see.
Not that I think R de T and CB are real gardeners anyway. All the more
reasone why they really shouldnt be there.

At least R de T is pleasant to the eye. I can't help wondering though if her
selection was more for her looks than her gardening knowledge?
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

jane 14-04-2003 11:44 AM

Gardeners World

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:57:16 +0100, "Drakanthus"
wrote:

~ I'll wait and see.
~ Not that I think R de T and CB are real gardeners anyway. All the more
~ reasone why they really shouldnt be there.
~
~
~At least R de T is pleasant to the eye. I can't help wondering though if her
~selection was more for her looks than her gardening knowledge?

My thoughts entirely. I tend to refer to her as Rachel de useless.
On the other hand my Dad thinks she's lovely. But then he's a bloke...

I'm not terribly fond of Mr Overacting Beardshaw either, however! :-)

The one thing a lot of folk haven't commented on in the "Oh good MD is
much better than AT" postings is that the entire old production team
has gone and it's been taken back in-house by the BBC.

Alan Titchmarsh was not to blame for the format of recent seasons -
the director has that responsibility, and so the independent TV
company were the ones responsible for the flashy angles, flowers
being shown in black and white (er, why?) and the production quality.
And in my experience of the BBC gardening message boards, they took
not one bit of notice of the complaints and wishes of the viewers.

Now filming is back with the people I pay my licence fee to, and they
seem to have gone back to Geoff-Hamilton-like basics as the majority
of people on the boards seemed to want. Hooray.

Pity Alan T had to put up with the flak generated by the terrible
production values of the independent company :-(
I think he'd have been heaps better in the last two or three seasons
if it had been in-house.

(Postscript to one of GHs old soapboxes while I remember: he always
advocated cocoa shell mulches for acidifying alkaline soils. The RHS
has just completed a long-term survey of mulches and found that most
of them do leave the soil slightly more acidic in the first season but
more alkaline than initially, after 3 or so years!)

I'll get off mine now :-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

dave @ stejonda 14-04-2003 11:44 AM

Gardeners World

In message , mick
writes
Monty Don has a degree in some subject or other ( Business from the LSE
I think) and took up gardening as a business venture.

No, he took up gardening initially as therapy. He mentioned this in one
of his Observer articles some years ago.

--
dave @ stejonda

Sue 14-04-2003 12:34 PM

Gardeners World

"Fenny" k wrote
The trailers for the new series of GW use the old theme music and
everyone out in their gardens recognises it. Why then change it to
something people don't recognise.

Yes, that's exactly what I thought when the 'new' version struck up. Talk
about ironic.

Apart from that blip, the first programme was an extremely good start. I do
like Monty Don's style of presenting; he always seems so down to earth and
enthusiastic, doesn't patronise, doesn't resort to gimmicks, and what's
more I love his voice - I could listen to him going on about planting yew
hedges all day. :)

Well done Beeb.

Sue

Sacha 14-04-2003 02:56 PM

Gardeners World

in article , dave @ stejonda at
wrote on 14/4/03 11:35 am:

In message , mick
writes
Monty Don has a degree in some subject or other ( Business from the LSE
I think) and took up gardening as a business venture.

No, he took up gardening initially as therapy. He mentioned this in one
of his Observer articles some years ago.

His early career was as a jewellery designer. I still have a pair of his
earrings! I *think* that business flopped, though I can't be sure of that.
You're right, he wrote quite a few articles about the making of his own
garden so obviously his artistic bias went in that direction.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Alison 15-04-2003 10:08 PM

Gardeners World

"kdupar" wrote in message
Unless you live in Scotland, where golf replaced the Beechgrove Garden
on Thursday, and the Beechgrove
was broadcast in the Gardeners' World slot on Friday, and GW is now
scheduled for12 noon on Sunday. I know golf (not to mention gardening)
is a 'religion' to some people, but others of us are in church at noon
on Sunday. (Will have to remember to set the video.)

Kristina
black-isle.info/orchard

Yes I was really cheesed off at that - probably means that we won't be able
to trial the sweet peas for free cos we didn't have the same
first-come-first-served chance. Not to worry, my tried and tested are
already well on thier way.

Druss 22-04-2003 09:20 AM

Gardeners World

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
can't get on the BBC Gardeners Worlds Monty Don Website but BBC please Oh
please bring back the PROPER theme music!!!

I don't mind the new theme, it allows the whole program to indicate a
complete break, and a totally fresh start. Nice that there was no mention of
decking in the new show.
Also got to admit that Monty Don is one of my favorite gardeners, after the
numerous gardening programs he has presented his style has improved greatly.
Also his writing is amusing and interesting. Having read numerous of his
gaardening books I think I am going to like this series very much.
Plus, vegetable gardening and organic !!! how nice to hear those terms on GW
again, after so many years. Geoff H was moving steadily in that direction
when he sadly left us, and he was introducing all sorts of excellent
characters, Bob Flowerdew springs to mind. It's so nice to think that after
the AT years, we can now get back to what I enjoy most, veggies.
Yes, I know it wasn't all AT's fault, but let's face it, has he really
presented a gardening show which wasn't almost all about Decking and quick
fix-ups. I think MD would also have demanded creative control as a
pre-requisite to taking over the presenters job, he has over many years,
been a very keen veggie gardener and has been a staunch advocate of organic
methods for several years, so I doubt very much he would let anyone else
dictate how he gardens. He made that point quite well I thought, that
although they will be organic, he will talk about alternatives, generally
and excellent move I thought.

Duncan

Got to add as well, the very idea of gardens having one Gardener and a bunch
of labourers, love it hilarious, how much more insulting could anyone be, I
wonder where they got the Head gardeners from if all he had working for him
were labourers !!!