Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Registered User

Default Planting directly into mini bark

Hi, I have recently planted serveral dozen bedding plants directly into about 3 inches of mini bark chips! The base of the roots are in contact with the soil (as I have cut holes in the sheet of weed block) but the rest of the root/pot compost is surrounded by the bark. Will this be ok? Or can I expect problems? Many thanks, Richard
Old 08-06-2006, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jollygreenp

--
rich1234

Depending on the plants you probably shouldn't have any problems. The
bark could be considered as being a little bit like the stone chippings
round an alpine. They will also provide support for the stem of the
plants and keep moisture from evaporating. In fact some people
actually use bark chippings in their flower beds as a mulch.

J.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"rich1234" wrote in message

Hi, I have recently planted serveral dozen bedding plants directly into
about 3 inches of mini bark chips! The base of the roots are in
contact with the soil (as I have cut holes in the sheet of weed block)
but the rest of the root/pot compost is surrounded by the bark. Will
this be ok? Or can I expect problems? Many thanks, Richard
rich1234

The rootball might dry out if only surrounded by bark. Keep an eye on the
plants in case
Jenny

Old 09-06-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:
I disagree. Both alpines, and plants in a flower bed, have all their
roots (not just the tips of roots) in a proper growing medium *beneath*
their grit or bark mulch. The mulch is not their growing medium.

I totally agree with your disagreement tee hee Rich1234, you felt
that there was something perhaps not entirely right by just putting the
plants in the soil only half way. Plants needs moisture, nutrients and
oxygen to grow and soil to enchor their roots. The mulch is to keep
moisture in, surpress weeds but is not a growing medium in itself. Your
plant will dry very rapidily.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Registered User

Thanks very much for all the advice.... all seems ok at the moment..... I'll keep you posted on my progress

Old 28-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1234
Thanks very much for all the advice.... all seems ok at the moment..... I'll keep you posted on my progress

All is fine now.... growing really well and not dryed up! Thanks again for your help