Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default tomatoes not setting fruit :(

I have some tumbling tom tomoatoes in troughs (plastic) hanging off the
fence which are flowering but then don't seem to set fruit . The
flower just turns brown and dies off.

However I have another one of these in a hangin basket lined with part
of a compost bag cut to shape , inside out and with holes in.

I did ensure that there was proper drainage etc in the troughs.

Could this just be a watering problem , I do water them everyday ,
could it be because they are in normal multipurpose compost that they
are drying out to quickly and not allowing the fruits to set ?

Old 12-06-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have some tumbling tom tomoatoes in troughs (plastic) hanging off the
fence which are flowering but then don't seem to set fruit . The
flower just turns brown and dies off.

However I have another one of these in a hangin basket lined with part
of a compost bag cut to shape , inside out and with holes in.

I did ensure that there was proper drainage etc in the troughs.

Could this just be a watering problem , I do water them everyday ,
could it be because they are in normal multipurpose compost that they
are drying out to quickly and not allowing the fruits to set ?

Could my tomatoe be suffering from a virus ?

Old 12-06-2006, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Gardening_Convert wrote:
Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have some tumbling tom tomoatoes in troughs (plastic) hanging off the
fence which are flowering but then don't seem to set fruit . The
flower just turns brown and dies off.

However I have another one of these in a hangin basket lined with part
of a compost bag cut to shape , inside out and with holes in.

I did ensure that there was proper drainage etc in the troughs.

Could this just be a watering problem , I do water them everyday ,
could it be because they are in normal multipurpose compost that they
are drying out to quickly and not allowing the fruits to set ?

Could my tomatoe be suffering from a virus ?

I believe that generally shows on the leaves - they get gnarled and
twisted and curly, and mottled. I have been told, also - though some
here might confirm up or down - that smokers can pass tobacco born
viruses which can be caught by tom plants.

'Tis a jungle out there...

Cat(h)

Old 12-06-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Squeezeweasel

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have some tumbling tom tomoatoes in troughs (plastic) hanging off the
fence which are flowering but then don't seem to set fruit . The
flower just turns brown and dies off.

However I have another one of these in a hangin basket lined with part
of a compost bag cut to shape , inside out and with holes in.

I did ensure that there was proper drainage etc in the troughs.

Could this just be a watering problem , I do water them everyday ,
could it be because they are in normal multipurpose compost that they
are drying out to quickly and not allowing the fruits to set ?

How are you watering them? All kinds of tomatoes can be prone to
flower-drop if you give them a large amount of water in one go every
day, rather than keeping them damp with a couple (or more) more gentle
watering sessions. I do mine first thing in the morning, then again in
the evening, and this seems to help prevent flower-drop.

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

Old 12-06-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have some tumbling tom tomoatoes in troughs (plastic) hanging off the
fence which are flowering but then don't seem to set fruit . The
flower just turns brown and dies off.

However I have another one of these in a hangin basket lined with part
of a compost bag cut to shape , inside out and with holes in.

I did ensure that there was proper drainage etc in the troughs.

Could this just be a watering problem , I do water them everyday ,
could it be because they are in normal multipurpose compost that they
are drying out to quickly and not allowing the fruits to set ?

Try gently shaking the flowers - a standard technique, or lightly
brushing them with a paintbrush, or spraying them gently with a
fine mist of warm water.

Although too much humidity overall is bad as well.

Too much nitrogen can affect flower drop, as can very hot tempeartures
especially at night.

Keep the compost damp but not soaked right through, at all time.
Only you can know your own situation and what you need to do to
achieve that situation.

michael adams

Old 13-06-2006, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

michael adams wrote:
[...]

I have been giving then a good drenching in the morning and in this hot
weather again in the evening , could it then be too much water in one
go !!

Hard to keep them just damp in this weather when I'm at work all day
and can't rely on the wife as she has the kids to look after !!

Old 13-06-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hard to keep them just damp in this weather when I'm at work all day
and can't rely on the wife as she has the kids to look after !!

Give the kids a little watering can and tell them to do it. In my experience
they love it!

Mary

Old 13-06-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Give the kids a little watering can ...

I WANT A BIG WATERING CAN LIKE MUMMY, GIVE IT TO ME NOW, (stamp stamp)
Edward (three year old son of
--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset) )

Old 13-06-2006, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

Give the kids a little watering can ...

I WANT A BIG WATERING CAN LIKE MUMMY, GIVE IT TO ME NOW, (stamp stamp)
Edward (three year old son of

Then do give it to him. When the little dear learns to lift a full
two gallon can, he'll be really useful in the garden :-)

Janet.

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry
Old 13-06-2006, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Give the kids a little watering can ...

I WANT A BIG WATERING CAN LIKE MUMMY, GIVE IT TO ME NOW, (stamp stamp)
Edward (three year old son of

OK, give him a BIG watering can and watch him struggle.

Or let Mummy use a small one.

Mary

Old 13-06-2006, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

actually he usually gets the hose (no ban here yet)