Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clay soil causing uneven lawn

Our lawn is very uneven, with potholes bad enough to turn your ankle. I
think the problem is caused by the heavy clay soil, and the garden is
surrounded by a large number of smallish trees.
Can anyone recommend the best course of action to remedy this
situation. Bearing in mind that the garden is quite large, so
re-turfing it would probably be an expensive option.
If I do take remedial action, is the situation likely to recur?

Old 14-06-2006, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Our lawn is very uneven, with potholes bad enough to turn your ankle. I
think the problem is caused by the heavy clay soil, and the garden is
surrounded by a large number of smallish trees.
Can anyone recommend the best course of action to remedy this
situation. Bearing in mind that the garden is quite large, so
re-turfing it would probably be an expensive option.
If I do take remedial action, is the situation likely to recur?

Where we live, during summer, the clay underlying our lawns produced cracks
3" wide and 12ft deep! The turf stretches rather than cracks but if you
step on a crack the turf collapses into the crack and yes you can easily
turn an ankle. Come the winter the cracks all closed and the problem
disappears.

Don't think returfing would help at all. So considering spreading topsoil
thinly over the lawn to fill the resulting unevenness. Best done in late
August when the grass is dry, mow the lawn very short to expose the earth
(can combine this with a good scarify), spread the topsoil over and smooth.
Come the rains in Sept the grass will grow through.

cheers Davy

Old 14-06-2006, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Where we live, during summer, the clay underlying our lawns produced
cracks

ours also cracks (not a badly though ). Is there any point in trying to
fill the cracks with sharp sand/compost? I've often wondered if this would
do any good or if it would just make it more compacted in winter - any
suggestions anyone please?

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)