Old 12-06-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history
Bob Hobden

Default Damselflys, good for gardens?

((X Posted))
Noticed on our new allotment that we have an enormous number of Damselflies
flying about and resting on the plants. Some are Large Reds (easy ID) but a
high proportion of others are brown with clear wings. The nearest water is
the tiny River Bourne which runs alongside the site.
I understand Damselflies are carnivores so should I welcome them as another
predator of aphids etc? I must admit that other than Flea Beetle there
hasn't been much insect pest about other than something nasty which attacked
me yesterday judging by the sore red lumps on ankle and elbow. :-(

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-06-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history
BAC

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
((X Posted))
Noticed on our new allotment that we have an enormous number of

Damselflies
flying about and resting on the plants. Some are Large Reds (easy ID) but

high proportion of others are brown with clear wings. The nearest water is
the tiny River Bourne which runs alongside the site.
I understand Damselflies are carnivores so should I welcome them as

another
predator of aphids etc? I must admit that other than Flea Beetle there
hasn't been much insect pest about other than something nasty which

attacked
me yesterday judging by the sore red lumps on ankle and elbow. :-(

Damselflies are predators of other small insects, especially mosquitoes, so
it's doubtful they'll be doing any harm to your allotment.

Old 13-06-2006, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history
Brian

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
((X Posted))
Noticed on our new allotment that we have an enormous number of

Damselflies
flying about and resting on the plants. Some are Large Reds (easy ID) but

high proportion of others are brown with clear wings. The nearest water is
the tiny River Bourne which runs alongside the site.
I understand Damselflies are carnivores so should I welcome them as

another
predator of aphids etc? I must admit that other than Flea Beetle there
hasn't been much insect pest about other than something nasty which

attacked
me yesterday judging by the sore red lumps on ankle and elbow. :-(

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagines [adults] of these insects don't need to feed in
the conventional way. They are only designed to look for egg laying sites.
The nymph stage is a voraceous carnivore but only of what it can find in the
water. If handled they can bite! All similar to dragonflies.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 13-06-2006, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history
BAC

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Regardless of whether or not they need to eat in the conventional way, adult
damselflies, like adult dragonflies are active predators of any insect
smaller than themselves. I've watched damsels and dragons hawking and
feeding many times.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/conker/pon...ragonflies.htm

Old 13-06-2006, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history
Bob Hobden

"BAC" wrote in response to

"Brian" who replied to

"Bob Hobden"
[...]

Well I see then daily around my pond, the dragonflies seem to actively hunt,
constantly flying and on the lookout, whereas the Damselflies seem to lay in
wait on a plant and almost ambush their victims with a short flight.
Point is, do they take aphids off the plants or only when in flight?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-06-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history
Kate

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

:-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Only in flight. Their forelegs are designed to grab their prey on the
wing. If the prey is large, they will land to consume it. I have a
photo of a common blue devouring a hoverfly. I took three shots in
quick succession, and by the last one, the hoverfly was almost
consumed. Marvellous creatures, damsel/dragonflies. Their design is
so efficient, it hasn`t changed in millions of years. Their lives as
an imago are very short so just enjoy their beauty, Bob.

Kate

Old 14-06-2006, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history
BAC

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Personally, I've never seen a damsel take an aphid off a plant, but that
doesn't mean they can't/won't. In fact, unless it were physically impossible
for them to do so, I'd be surprised if they did not.