Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-06-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alla Bezroutchko

Default Lavender hedge

Hi,

I am trying to create a lavender hedge. I have planted some lavender
last year in autumn, it is growing fine at the moment and just starts
flowering. Should I let it flower or should I cut off the blooms to make
it grow more green shoots? When and how should I trim it to form a hedge?

By the way, after asking the opinion of the group last year about
planting out lavender cuttings, I did an experiment - planted out some
in October and repotted the rest. The potted cuttings stayed in an
unheated garage where the temperature sometimes went down to -5 degrees
Celsius. All the potted cuttings survived, while about a half of the
planted cuttings died, mostly broken down or washed out by heavy rain.
The planted out cuttings that survived are bigger and bushier than the
potted ones though.

Alla.