Old 08-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Peter James

Default Lavender hedge

My wife and I planted a lavender hedge last year, that seemed to take
root and settle in OK. This year, there is not the slightest sign of
life on any plant, and they all look quite dead. However they are
firmly established in the soil, and don't appear to be dead, just no
sign of life as yet. Has anybody else expeerienced anything like
this with lavender?
-
Peter James
Change AT to @ to reply
Old 08-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Little Badger

Pete
I've got lavender on one side of my lawn!
Since planting (two years ago) I've had the same problem as you!
I've had more than one plant die on me!
I've planted them in sandy soil so they should be alright!

I just think they need some time in establishing themselves!

Badger

Old 08-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Paul Kelly

"Peter James" wrote in message
My wife and I planted a lavender hedge last year, that seemed to take
root and settle in OK. This year, there is not the slightest sign of
life on any plant, and they all look quite dead. However they are
firmly established in the soil, and don't appear to be dead, just no
sign of life as yet. Has anybody else expeerienced anything like
this with lavender?

What lavender?

Stoechas in particular dislikes wet feet and easily gives up the ghost over
winter
pk

Old 08-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Peter James pfjATpetefjames.clara.co.uk wrote:
My wife and I planted a lavender hedge last year, that seemed to take
root and settle in OK. This year, there is not the slightest sign of
life on any plant, and they all look quite dead. However they are
firmly established in the soil, and don't appear to be dead, just no
sign of life as yet. Has anybody else expeerienced anything like
this with lavender?

Have they dropped their leaves? If so, they are dead. If not, it
is still ruddy cold in most places, so just ignore them until it has
been warm for at least a fortnight.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Peter James

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:37:10 +0100, Peter James
wrote:

My wife and I planted a lavender hedge last year, that seemed to take
root and settle in OK. This year, there is not the slightest sign of
life on any plant, and they all look quite dead. However they are
firmly established in the soil, and don't appear to be dead, just no
sign of life as yet. Has anybody else expeerienced anything like
this with lavender?

We lifted every third one this afternoon, and each one is obviously
dead. Oh well, you pay for experience I guess. We live in Cornwall,
on a wet part of the north coast, and I guess the plant didn't like it
one bit. Back to the RHS Plant guide, and we'll find another species
to plant out. Any suggestions anyone?
-
Peter James
Change AT to @ to reply
Old 10-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Paul Kelly

wrote:

We lifted every third one this afternoon, and each one is obviously
dead. Oh well, you pay for experience I guess. We live in Cornwall,
on a wet part of the north coast, and I guess the plant didn't like it
one bit. Back to the RHS Plant guide, and we'll find another species
to plant out. Any suggestions anyone?

Ummm, possibly a tad too wet for it it N Cornwall but which bit? we go to
Porthcothan every year to see friends who do have lavender in the garden.

You can give it a better chance by putting lots of grit in the soil to
improve drainage. It is really wet + cold it doen't like, so provided you
can give it dry feet it stands a chnce in your warm climate. Also, avoid the
French lavendres one of the basic English types would stand best chance.

pk

Old 11-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 10 Apr 2003 17:29:19 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

...what about Vaccinium? There are several plausible
species, and I think that they can stand clipping - plus you might
even get fruit if the birds don't get there first :-)

Consider Vaccinium ovatum, the "evergreen huckleberry". Slow to
establish, but one of the better looking of the genus. And well
able to withstand moist soil.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada