GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cutting back Ribes now ok? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/146655-cutting-back-ribes-now-ok.html)

louisxiv 18-06-2006 09:36 AM

Cutting back Ribes now ok?

Hi

I'm about to erect a new fence at the back of my garden. My only concern is
that in order to do so i will have to chop back a bit of the flowering
currant which is growing there. It's at post-blossom, early berry
development stage of the season and I have no great desire to harvest the
berries. Will it, therefore, do any harm to prune it now?

Thanks

xiv

Stewart Robert Hinsley 18-06-2006 01:26 PM

Cutting back Ribes now ok?

In message ,
louisxiv writes
Hi

I'm about to erect a new fence at the back of my garden. My only concern is
that in order to do so i will have to chop back a bit of the flowering
currant which is growing there. It's at post-blossom, early berry
development stage of the season and I have no great desire to harvest the
berries. Will it, therefore, do any harm to prune it now?

Thanks

xiv

It's likely an ideal time to prune it. If you delay pruning into later
in the year the result is likely to be a lack of flowers next spring.

(If it's Ribes sanguineum, then my experience is that you can hack it
back most times of the year, without ill effect. (I've never had cause
to try the depths of winter.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info

MadCow 18-06-2006 10:26 PM

Cutting back Ribes now ok?

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

(If it's Ribes sanguineum, then my experience is that you can hack it
back most times of the year, without ill effect. (I've never had cause
to try the depths of winter.)

I've pruned it in winter when dormant, and it didn't do any harm.

--
Sue ]:(:)