Old 18-06-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

Default Too hot for cucumber to germinate?

Hi,

I am planting my seeds very late (it has been an unusual year) but I am
trying to grow Burpless Tasty Green cucmbers and yellow courgettes.

A couple of weeks ago (I think) I planted seeds in pots and put them in an
outdoor mini-greenhouse; one of those fancy plastic bags over a vegetable
rack.

Both courgetttes have germinated and are aparently doing well.

None of the three cucumbers have shown any sign of germinating.

I have put another couple of pots in with cucumber seeds but I was wondering
if it was too hot.

The courgette packet says approx. 20-25 C and the cucumber packet says
approx. 15-20 C.

I was wondering how critical this temperature was likely to be, and also if
the watering regime was not favourable.

I have them in a plastic tray which I fill irregularly (i.e. when I get the
opportunity - could be once a week).

This keeps them from moist to distinctly wet.

The courgettes seem to love it.

I am now wondering if I should plant some seeds in pots and just leave them
outside, as we seem to be in 15-20C most of the time at the moment.

If they are just slow to germinate, of course, I may end up with far too
many cucumber plants :-)

So - too hot, too wet, or just too lazy to germinate?

Cheers

Dave R

Old 18-06-2006, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

--

If you have trouble germinating any seed of reasonable size
- cukes are big enough to see what you're doing then try chitting

michael adams

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Seeds taking too long to germinate? alan.holmes United Kingdom 3 05-06-2009 05:28 PM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM