Old 18-06-2006, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jane

Default Composter

I'm looking at buying a composter for my allotment, from my local council.
As far as efficiency of composting, which is better - one 600 litre
composter (£15) or two 330 litre composters (£6.00 each)?

Thanks.

Old 18-06-2006, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Redman

"Jane" wrote in message
I'm looking at buying a composter for my allotment, from my local council.
As far as efficiency of composting, which is better - one 600 litre
composter (£15) or two 330 litre composters (£6.00 each)?

Thanks.

Well I got one of the 330 ltr ones from my local council and all fruit and
veg not eaten goes into it, I've been using it since about Feb/March and
it's still only about half full.

Redman

Old 18-06-2006, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Jane" wrote in message
I'm looking at buying a composter for my allotment, from my local council.
As far as efficiency of composting, which is better - one 600 litre
composter (£15) or two 330 litre composters (£6.00 each)?

Thanks.

The bigger one will be the most efficient in terms of composting because
there will be less heat loss.
You may find two smaller bins to be more practicable, as you can start using
the stuff from bin 1 whilst using bin 2.

Old 18-06-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Redman writes

"Jane" wrote in message
I'm looking at buying a composter for my allotment, from my local council.
As far as efficiency of composting, which is better - one 600 litre
composter (£15) or two 330 litre composters (£6.00 each)?

Thanks.

Well I got one of the 330 ltr ones from my local council and all fruit and
veg not eaten goes into it, I've been using it since about Feb/March and
it's still only about half full.

My 1/5 acre garden produces enough waste (together with household waste
including cardboard) for 2 1000l bins to be barely enough.

The amount of heat produced by a compost heap is proportional to its
volume, but the amount dissipated is proportional to its surface area,
which means in practice a bigger heap is going to run hotter and
therefore produce compost more quickly.

Two bins are more convenient as you can be filling one while you are
using the compost from the other.
--
Kay
Old 19-06-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

I'm looking at buying a composter for my allotment, from my local
council.
As far as efficiency of composting, which is better - one 600 litre
composter (£15) or two 330 litre composters (£6.00 each)?

composters work best when they are filled in one go and the contents turned
when it has cooled down. If you have enough waste to fill the big one, then
go for that. If not, I'de recommend the two smaller ones.

COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
San Jose/Santa Clara County horse manure for composter. The Gardners Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2003 10:20 PM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Lawns 0 02-12-2002 12:06 PM