Old 24-06-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default New urgler : Vivek.M - from Bangalore, India.

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:
| "Vivek.M" wrote in message
| oups.com...
| Hey Jen, neat site !! How do you prevent dampness in the roof ?
|
| It was meant to be a terrace when built. It's concrete and I just added pots
| and gravel :~))

Designing flat roofs for such use is the key.

| Have you given it a incline
|
| No. Any excess water runs away through drain[pipes at the corners.

The normal problem with those is bowing in the centre, forming a
semi-permanent lake - see above and below!

| won't the plants slow down evaporation of water from in-between the gravel?
|
| Ys :~)) I have a theory that the gravel keeps the roof damp and therefore
| make the lead coping dry out less and therefore keeps the roof in better
| condition.

Yes. The normal reason for leaks in lead is that it cracks after the
expansion and contraction due to extremes of temperature.

| And how did you figure out the load bearing capacity off the roof -
| structural engineer?
|
| I got in touch with the architect and the builder. It's 150 kilos per square
| meter. My original plan was to have a shallow pond with the water being
| pumped round, but that was too heavy :~((

That's about half standard office loading. Anything designed to have
another story (in the UK!) will be that or higher. Roofs not so designed
may not be.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.